CHILDHOOD OBESITY, PREVALENCE AND PREVENTION
- Op-Ed: Childhood Obesity A Challenge Without Borders. Gable, Lisa // Diplomatic Courier;Spring2011, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p20
The author discusses the challenges faced by mothers because of childhood obesity. The author says that the World Health Organization (WHO) projects 1.6 billion of adults will be overweight and 400 million will be obese. She mentions her conversation with community leaders and parents who...
- Childhood obesity: Determinants, evaluation, and prevention. Raychaudhuri, Moutusi; Sanyal, Debmalya // Indian Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism;Dec2012 Supplement, Vol. 16, pS192
Childhood obesity is a grave issue, which needs to be addressed urgently because it leads to several medical and psychosocial problems in children. High prevalence is being increasingly reported in children from developing countries as well. The combination of our genetic propensity to store...
- WHEN IS A CRISIS ALSO AN OPPORTUNITY? McMILLAN, JULIA A. // Contemporary Pediatrics;Oct2009, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p12
The author comments on the health crisis brought by childhood obesity. According to the author, childhood obesity has become an epidemic because of high-calorie food and sedentary lifestyle. The author asserted that different kinds of people, such as pediatricians, politicians and parents,...
- Hey, It's Ok…. // Glamour;3/ 1/2013, Vol. 111 Issue 3, p82
The article presents guilt-free gossips related to lifestyle which include the awareness of calorie intake, the refusal to say anything when ordering at coffee company Starbucks Corp. and the act of doing the opposite of the advice of friends.
- Obesity in children. Oldham, Trevor // Pulse;4/15/2002, Vol. 62 Issue 15, p59
Focuses on obesity in children. Information on obesity; Risk of obesity in adults; Causes of obesity; Syndromes that are associated with obesity; Symptoms of obesity in children; Maintenance calories for males and females.
- Eating Out--At What Price? Hancock, Michelle // Alive: Canada's Natural Health & Wellness Magazine;May2002, Issue 235, p29
Reports the increase in fat and calorie consumption in restaurant foods. Percentage increase fat and calorie in restaurant foods; Role of restaurant foods in the rise of obesity in children; Number of times Americans eat meals away from home.
- SOFT DRINKS & OBESITY. // Nutrition Action Health Letter;May2001, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p9
Provides information on a study which examined the prevalence of obesity among school children in the United States. Discussion on the diet of children; Caloric content of sugar-sweetened drinks.
- SOCIAL AND LIFESTYLE FACTORS IN CHILDHOOD OBESITY -- A MALAYSIAN PERSPECTIVE. Judson, John Paul; Balasingam, Kavitha // Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences;Jan2007 Supplement, Vol. 14, p271
Introduction: Obesity in children is a global pandemic which leads to serious health and social consequences in adulthood. While genetic contributions are considered partly responsible, changing social and lifestyle habits are viewed as the main causes for the alarming increase in its incidence....
- The Science Of Childhood Obesity. Bor, Jonathan // Health Affairs;Mar2010, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p393
As scientists currently understand the phenomenon, widespread obesity represents an interaction of genes and the environment. Throughout human history, the ability to gain weight enabled humans to survive food shortages by tapping energy reserves stored in body fat. Today, an overabundance of...