Towards a postcolonial critical literacy: Bhimayana and the Indian graphic novel
- Questions of Reading and Readership of Pictorial Texts: The Case of Bhimayana, a Pictorial Biography of Dr. Ambedkar. Oza, Vasvi // Journal of Writing in Creative Practice;Nov2011, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p351
Bhimayana (2010) is a pictorial biography of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar (1891-1956), a very important Indian leader whose struggles and writings about uprooting the caste system from the Indian society have been of crucial relevance for contemporary struggles by dalits and adivasis (tribals) in...
- THE INHUMAN PRACTICE OF MANUAL SCAVENGING IN INDIA -- A REVIEW. Halu, Basavarajeshwari // Golden Research Thoughts;Jun2014, Vol. 3 Issue 12, p1
For in India a man is not scavenger because of his work. He is a scavenger because of his birth, irrespective of the question whether he does scavenging or not" Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Despite laws abolishing the inhuman practice of manual scavenging, over a million of dalits in 'superpower India' are...
- ANDHRA PRADESH: Ambedkar Statue Desecrated Again. // India -- West;2/3/2012, Vol. 37 Issue 11, pA44
The article reports on desecration of a statue of social reformer B. R. Ambedkar in Andhra Pradesh, India's East Godavari region triggering protests.
- Huge Furore over Ambedkar Cartoon in Textbook. // India -- West;5/18/2012, Vol. 37 Issue 26, pA35
The article presents information on furore over a cartoon of Dalit icon B.R. Ambedkar in a school textbook in India.
- New York Consulate Marks Ambedka's Birth Anniversary. // News India Times;4/26/2013, Vol. 44 Issue 17, p11
This article announces the celebration of the 122nd birthday anniversary of B. R. Ambedkar by the Consulate General of India in New York at the consulate premises on April 14, 2013.
- USE OF INTERNET BY RESEARCH SCHOLARS OF SOCIAL SCIENCE DEPARTMENTS OF DR. BABASAHEB AMBEDKAR MARATHWADA UNIVERSITY, AURANGABAD. Khaparde, Vaishali // International Journal of Humanities & Social Science;Aug2011, Vol. 1 Issue 10, p153
The Study examines use of the Internet of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad. A well structured questionnaire was distributed among the 371 research scholars of social science departments in university under study. Findings of this study show that internet is being heavily...
- The house of dark arts. // India Today;5/28/2012, p24
The article focuses on the controversy that surrounds the political art created by political cartoonist Shankar. He has depicted Indian orator and editor Bhimrao Ramji "Babasaheb" Ambedkar in a drawing that shows the slow progression of Indian political life. A government minister has promised...
- Marital Quality in Inter-caste and Intra-caste Marriages. Arumugham, Packiaraj // International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences;2012, Vol. 6 Issue 9, p17
This paper examines the relationship between the marital quality of inter-caste marriage (marriage between the members of lower castes and upper castes) and intra-caste marriage (marriage within one's own caste) participants. The Caste system is peculiar to India. Baldauf (2001) states, "Caste...
- Low-caste Hindus adopt new faith. // Asian Pacific Post;10/26/2006, p5
The article discusses the actions of the Dalits, the lowest rank in the Hindu caste system, to attend mass ceremonies and be converted to Buddhists in Nagpur, India. The ceremonies, which mark the 50th anniversary of the adoption of Buddhism by the scholar Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, were part of a...