Effect of Static Magnetic Fields on the Peripheral Blood Mononuclear-like Cells
- There's a tail to that blood cell. // New Scientist;10/8/2005, Vol. 188 Issue 2520, p21
This article reports that red blood cells have become the first living cells to be fitted with an artificial tail. The secret to the cell's motion lies in the composition of the tail, a filament of tiny magnetic beads held rigidly together by strands of DNA. When an oscillating magnetic field is...
- Continuous magnetophoretic separation of blood cells in microdevice format. Ki-Ho Han; Frazier, A. Bruno // Journal of Applied Physics;
This paper presents a method for continuous magnetophoretic separation of red and white blood cells from whole blood based on their native magnetic properties. The microsystem separates the blood cells using a high gradient magnetic separation method without the use of additives such as magnetic...
- In Vitro Analysis of the Anti-Inflammatory Effect of Inhomogeneous Static Magnetic Field-Exposure on Human Macrophages and Lymphocytes. Vergallo, Cristian; Dini, Luciana; Szamosvölgyi, Zsuzsanna; Tenuzzo, Bernardetta Anna; Carata, Elisabetta; Panzarini, Elisa; László, János F. // PLoS ONE;Aug2013, Vol. 8 Issue 8, p1
The effect of inhomogeneous static magnetic field (SMF)-exposure on the production of different cytokines from human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PMBC), i.e., lymphocytes and macrophages, was tested in vitro. Some cultures were activated with lipopolysaccharide (LPS) at time point...
- Effect of static magnetic field on erythrocytes characterizations. Elblbesy, Mohamed A. // Journal of Biomedical Science & Engineering;Mar2010, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p300
The interaction of static magnetic field (SMF) with living organisms is a rapidly growing field of investigation. Recently, exposure to moderate intensity SMFs (1 mT - 1 T) has attracted much attention for its various medical applications. This study was designed to show the microscopic effect...
- Spin polarization and enhancement of the effective g-factor in one dimensional electron systems... Majumdar, Amlan // Journal of Applied Physics;1/1/1998, Vol. 83 Issue 1, p297
Reports on the use of the presence of an in-plane magnetic field parallel to the channel, to investigate the energy subbands of ideal one-dimensional electron systems (1DESs). Information on the ideal 1DES; Calculations of the effective g-factor.
- The response of high-T c SQUID magnetometers to small changes in temperature. Milliken, F.P.; Koch, R.H. // Journal of Applied Physics;12/15/1997, Vol. 82 Issue 12, p6301
Investigates the response of the flux-locked output of several high-T c SQUID magnetometers to small changes in temperature and for magnetic fields 0-30...T. Experimental procedure used; Results and discussion on the findings.
- Magnetic moments at Jupiter. Hill, Thomas W. // Nature;2/28/2002, Vol. 415 Issue 6875, p965
Investigates the magnetic field of planet Jupiter through spacecraft. Design of the two spacecraft; Characteristics of magnetosphere; Determination of the magnetopause size. INSET: Box 1 Following the auroral footprints..
- Magnetic field induced alignment of cyanine dye J-aggregates. Shklyarevskiy, I. O.; Boamfa, M. I.; Christianen, P. C. M.; Touhari, F.; van Kempen, H.; Deroover, G.; Callant, P.; Maan, J. C. // Journal of Chemical Physics;5/15/2002, Vol. 116 Issue 19, p8407
High magnetic fields were used for the alignment of J-aggregates of cyanine dyes in solution leading to strongly polarized optical properties, yielding a maximum dichroic ratio of 13. The aligned aggregates were fixed by gelation resulting in samples that are stable at room temperature and...
- Theoretical study of plasma expansion in a magnetic field in a disk anode vacuum arc. Beilis, I.I.; Keidar, M.; Boxman, R. L.; Goldsmith, S. // Journal of Applied Physics;1/15/1998, Vol. 83 Issue 2, p709
Presents a theoretical study of the low-density plasma flow in an axial magnetic field to a disk-shaped anode in a vacuum arc. Importance of the expansion of low-density current carrying plasma jets in a magnetic field; Details on plasma in a vacuum arc.