Critical realism and realist research in human geography: a method or a philosophy in search of a method?
- Realist philosophy of the social sciences and economics: A critique. Baert, Patrick // Cambridge Journal of Economics;Sep96, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p513
Deals with critical realism as a contribution to the philosophy of the social sciences. Differences of critical realism from other philosophies of science; Reliance on impoverished notion of knowledge acquisition; Unsuitability to social theory.
- Open Systems as Seem on the Street and From the Fourteenth Floor. Isaacson, Stephen L. // Journal of Learning Disabilities;May93, Vol. 26 Issue 5
Comments on Michael Warner's discussion on positivism, holism and critical realism. Differences between natural and behavioral sciences; Definition of open and close systems; Identification of a cause-effect mechanism; Role of philosophers in educational methods and research.
- Boylan and O'Gorman's causal holism: a critical realist evaluation. Fleetwood, Steve // Cambridge Journal of Economics;Jan2002, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p27
Evaluates causal holism from the perspective of critical realism. Areas of disagreement; Points of agreement between critical realism and causal holism; Themes of causal holism.
- Critical realism, empirical methods and inference: a critical discussion. Downward, Paul; Finch, John H.; Ramsay, John // Cambridge Journal of Economics;Jul2002, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p481
Provides guidelines in making empirical inferences in economics. Characteristics of critical realist epistemology; Role of plurality of quantitative and qualitative approaches to critical realist research; Historical elements of a critical realist account of empirical inference.
- Editorial. Smark, Ciorstan // Australasian Accounting Business & Finance Journal;Dec2010, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p1
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses an article on critical realism, an article on the advantages of categorising financially distressed companies, and an article on how incentives moderate performance.
- Book reviews. Fritzsche, Peter // Central European History (Brill Academic Publishers);1997, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p143
Reviews the book `Critical Realism: History, Photography, and the Work of Seigfried Kracauer,' by Dagmar Barnouw.
- Special Issue on Critical Realism. Blankenburg, Stephanie; Lawson, Clive; Lawson, Tony; Lewis, Paul; Pratten, Stephen; Runde, Jochen // Cambridge Journal of Economics;Nov2002, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p679
Introduces articles on critical realism featured in the November 2002 issue of the 'Cambridge Journal of Economics.'
- A critical 'post' to critical realism. Kaul, Nitasha // Cambridge Journal of Economics;Nov2002, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p709
The aim of this paper is to initiate a dialogue between critical realism (CR) and what is termed a 'post'ist perspective'. This amalgamated perspective is composed of relatively recent transdisciplinary theoretical approaches such as poststructuralism, deconstruction, feminism and postcolonial...
- Reflections on critical realism in political economy. Nielsen, Peter // Cambridge Journal of Economics;Nov2002, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p727
This paper studies critical realism in political economy. The focal points are two important tensions in critical realism. The first tension relates generally to the status and importance of philosophy and the scope of critical realism. The second tension relates specifically to critical realism...