Strong Support for State Funding of Schools
- Education Groups Strongly Oppose Senate Tax-Reform Proposal. Sirkin, J. R. // Education Week;4/2/1986, Vol. 5 Issue 28, p13
The article reports on the opposition of precollegiate-education groups to a draft of the U.S. Senate tax-reform plan. This plan supposedly jeopardizes state and local support for public schools. It would limit deductions of state and local taxes on federal income-tax returns. As claimed by...
- IN THE NEWS. // Techniques: Connecting Education & Careers;Apr2002, Vol. 77 Issue 4, p16
Reports developments related to education in the U.S. as of April 2002. Details on the testing standards for teachers; Inability of District public schools to meet the needs of special education students; Violation of federal disability laws.
- The Move Against High-Stakes Testing. Shaw, Donna // Curriculum Administrator;Aug2000, Vol. 36 Issue 7, p38
Discusses the proliferation of high-stakes tests that students must pass to graduate or to advance to another grade in the United States. Pressure for schools to perform; Number of parents, students and educators protesting; Supporting some tests; Superintendents to perform single-test state...
- What the numbers say. // Curriculum Review;Dec99, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p2
Presents information related to education in the United States as of December 1999. Includes writing proficiency of children; Increase in number of public schools requiring students to wear uniforms.
- More money not the answer for public schools. Waxman, Lionel // Inside Tucson Business;04/26/99, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p5
Argues on the relationship between the state budget on public education and the quality of education in public schools. Misconception on the assumption that more money spent into government schools yields better educated students; State of public education in the United States.
- Public school kids are not balls of clay for educators. Novello, Mary K. // Las Vegas Business Press;03/27/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 12, p5
No abstract available.
- Inequity in funding of public education raises justice issues. Allen, John // National Catholic Reporter;05/02/97, Vol. 33 Issue 26, p3
Makes an observation of the United States' public school system. Inequity in funding of public education raising justice issues; Consequence of disparities in education funding; Issues about the legal and political changes of the public school system; Alleged pathetic reaction of the Catholic...
- Organize! // NEA Today;Sep97, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p1
Discusses the importance of organizing the educational support personnel in the U.S. Condition of public education; Advice on how to reconnect communities with public schools.
- Will school reforms follow the reports? I.G. // Physics Today;Nov83, Vol. 36 Issue 11, p49
Cites reports on the decline of public education in the U.S. Proposals of the report 'Educating Americans for the 21st Century'; Problems identified by the report 'High School: A Report on Secondary Education in America.'