The relationship between organisational culture and strategy formulation in South African firms
- Matching Corporate Culture and Business Strategy. Schwartz, Howard; Davis, Stanley M. // Organizational Dynamics;Summer81, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p30
Illustrates on how to match corporate culture and business strategy. Ways of understanding culture; Descriptions of an organization's culture; Importance of organizational approach to strategy.
- Corporate Culture: Avoiding the Elitist Trap. Reimann, Bernard C.; Wiener, Yoash // Business Horizons;Mar/Apr88, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p36
In this article we develop a value-based classification that can be helpful in the systematic analysis of corporate culture, discuss the implications of the resulting generic culture types for the firm's ability to change strategic direction, and examine the development of corporate cultures...
- Linking Corporate Culture to Strategic Planning. Deshpande, Rohit; Parasuraman, A. // Business Horizons;May/Jun86, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p28
This article explores some new approaches to managing corporate culture so that new insights will result. Organizational culture refers to the unwritten, often unconscious message that fills in the gaps between what is formally decreed and what actually takes place; it involves shared...
- Challenging corporate culture. Smolowitz, Ira // BusinessWest;Apr95, Vol. 11 Issue 12, p49
Contends that corporate culture is the bedrock of successful strategic management. Lack of consideration for the value of organizational culture; Corporate executives' focus on management, production finance, marketing and sales; Insights from Fred R. David's book `Strategic Management.'
- Levels of Dispute. Jusko, Jill // Industry Week/IW;12/07/98, Vol. 247 Issue 22, p35
Offers a look at the similarities in thought and action between plant and corporate executives on the critical nature of certain strategic initiatives in world-class status. Implementation levels of the initiatives; Gap between manufacturing strategies and their actual implementation on the...
- Work unit culture: Strategic starting point in building organizational change. Short, Larry E.; Ferratt, Thomas W. // Management Review;Aug84, Vol. 73 Issue 8, p15
Suggests an alternative way of developing an organization culture--the selection and implementation of specific work unit cultures at the first level of supervision. Basic managerial behaviors used to establish and maintain the culture of the work unit; Strategic implications; Choosing a work...
- Fault lines. Suutari, Raymond // CMA Management;Nov99, Vol. 73 Issue 9, p16
Reports on the reasons for the failure of business strategies and the lessons that they provide to corporate strategists. Personal preferences' domination of strategic decisions; Influence of corporate culture on strategy; Formulation of strategies that recognize the core competence of companies.
- How to Achieve Excellence by Managing the Culture in your Company. Weihrich, Heinz // Industrial Management;Sep/Oct89, Vol. 31 Issue 5, p28
Discusses the concept of corporate culture and how its management enables the achievement of organizational excellence. Activities related to an organization's objectives planning; Differences between a top-down and a bottom-up approach to planning; Control process steps in planning.
- Building ownership. Hill, John // Frontline Solutions;Jul2003, Vol. 4 Issue 7, p16
Discusses the mechanism of launching supply chain execution system programs. Relevance of changing business strategy that carry significant implications for corporate culture; Consideration on the inability to build ownership and proactive support throughout the organizations; Significance of...