10 years ago in the Journal
- Cash crisis deepens, warn care home managers. // Nursing Older People;Sep2003, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p5
Managers have accused the government of being in a state of denial about the crisis facing homes providing care for older people. With local authorities not prepared to pay higher fees, smaller homes are being forced to close, say home managers. Costs are also being forced up by the price of...
- Promising Models for Transforming Long-Term Care. Angelelli, Joe // Gerontologist;Aug2006, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p428
The article presents promising models for deinstitutionalizing services and individualized long-term care of elders. This issue features the Adards community in Tasmania, Australia and the Green Houses in Tupelo, Mississippi. It discusses the success of person-directed values that transformed...
- Buying the right stairlift: A simple guide. Stanley, Matthew // Nursing & Residential Care;Jul2006, Vol. 8 Issue 7, p327
Offers a guide to choosing the right stairlift for care homes. Factors to consider before buying a stairlift for care homes; Characteristics and key features of a good stairlift; Criteria for the selection of the right stairlift.
- letters. Rucker, Krissa; Brothers, Sharon K. // Nursing Homes: Long Term Care Management;Oct2007, Vol. 56 Issue 10, p12
Two letters to the editor are presented including a comment on the article "A Challenge to Nursing Homes," in the August 2007 issue and a response to such commentary.
- RESIDENT REFLECTIONS. Mears, Kathleen // Long-Term Living: For the Continuing Care Professional;Jan2010, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p64
The article offers author's views on the safety issues in nursing homes. The author thinks that nursing homes should have surveillance cameras on the front and back doors. The receptionist should have a mirrored wall in her office so she can see the front door at all times, it is necessary for...
- Largest nursing homes. Hillyer, Deborah W. // Crain's Cleveland Business;5/5/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 18, p23
Presents information on largest nursing homes, ranked on the basis of total number of licensed beds, in Cleveland, Ohio, as of May 5, 2003. Organizational status of Menorah Park Center for Senior Living; Ranking given to Beachwood Harborside Healthcare; Owner of St. Augustine Health Campus.
- Investors Seeking Profits In Area Nursing Facilities. Slowik, Elizabeth // Grand Rapids Business Journal;11/12/2007, Vol. 25 Issue 47, p1
The article deals with the purchase of nursing homes in Michigan by large multi state companies and the concerns of senior care advocates on how the shakeup of ownership could affect care of the disabled and the elderly. According to Frances Grant, director of Citizens for Better Care, these...
- ï¿½Home is where the heart isï¿½or is it?ï¿½: A phenomenological exploration of the meaning of home for older women in congregate housing. Leith, Katherine H. // Journal of Aging Studies;Dec2006, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p317
Abstract: This qualitative study explored the meaning of home for older women living in a congregate housing complex in a Southeastern city of the United States who have been more or less successful in making it a home. Through in-depth interviews, 20 older women shared detailed descriptions of...
- Competition fuels cost hikes. Mantone, Joseph // Modern Healthcare;10/4/2004, Vol. 34 Issue 40, p14
Compares private-pay nursing homes with other types of facilities in the U.S. Impact of increased competition from other types of facilities on the costs for private-pay nursing home residents; Reason of senior residents for choosing to live in assisted-living facilities than nursing homes...