Contra Costa County, Calif., Wants Developers' Taxes
- Bankruptcy Bill Rate Cap Dropped. Floyd, Daniel F. // Bond Buyer;05/24/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30898, p2
Reports on the removal of language that places a cap on the interest rates cities can charge corporations on delinquent property taxes in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases. Single interest rate on delinquent taxes.
- Detroit Hopes Appraisal Changes Spur Tax Base Growth. Colomer, Nora // Bond Buyer;1/26/2017, Vol. 1 Issue 34650, p1
A reappraisal of Detroit property taxes means that more than half of homeowners will see a reduction in taxes for the fourth year in a row, which could help the city's post-bankruptcy economic prospects as more property owners keep current.
- Local Cook County Governments Face 'Unsustainable' Property Taxes. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;3/14/2012, Vol. 379 Issue 33679, p6
The article reports on the unsustainable state of property tax in 2012 in Cook County, Illinois. It is warned by a public policy group in Chicago that local governments in the county are faced with bankruptcy if they continue to increase property taxes. It is said by the Heartland Institute that...
- Ky. Board Avoids State Takeover. M. N. // Education Week;1/14/1987, Vol. 6 Issue 16, p13
The article reports on the agreement of the members of the school board to raise local property taxes after the state threatened three of its members with removal from their posts under the academic bankruptcy law in Kentucky. The state's school funding formula was revised to help districts...
- Congress takes up bankruptcy bill. Preston, Mark // American City & County;Jun99, Vol. 114 Issue 6, p10
Discusses some elements of the federal bankruptcy bill of 1999 in the United States and their effects on local governments. Statistics on bankruptcies filed in 1998; Effects on the collection of property taxes by local governments; Requirement for debtors to pay interest on unpaid taxes;...
- New Atlantic City Rescue Bill Proposed. Coen, Andrew // Bond Buyer;2/19/2016, Vol. 1 Issue F355, p1
A new Atlantic City rescue bill proposed Wednesday would give New Jersey increased power over the city's finances in an effort to avoid bankruptcy.
- RESIDENTIAL FORECLOSURES. Parwani, Rinky S. // GPSolo;Mar/Apr2016, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p26
The article discusses the concept of residential foreclosure such as sale of the home or property like mortgage and property taxes. It mentions the challenges faced by attorney regarding foreclosure for clients, and states the process of foreclosure lawsuit. It also mentions the foreclosure...
- Bankruptcy Reform: Use of the Homestead Exemption by Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Debtors in the Northern District of Texas and the Southern District of Florida: GGD-99-142R. // GAO Reports;7/12/1999, p1
Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO provided information on the average and median amount of all homestead exemptions claimed by debtors in the Northern District of Texas and the Southern District of Florida, focusing on: (1) information on debtors' use of the homestead exemption in these...
- Kaiser pays taxes owed to county. // Journal of Business (10756124);7/13/2006, Vol. 21 Issue 15, pA2
The article reports that the company Kaiser Aluminum Corp. has paid the property taxes it owed the county of Spokane, Washington after emerging from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2006. The firm did not pay a portion of penalties and interest as part of a settlement reached with the county...