Discourse Markers in College English Listening Instruction: An Empirical Study of Chinese Learners
- Barriers to listening effectiveness. Golden, Steven // CPA Journal;Aug97, Vol. 67 Issue 8, p74
Presents a questionnaire that lists the common problems or barriers to listening effectiveness. Significance of the test.
- Empirical Reforms on New-CET4 Communicative Listening Test. LEI Min // Canadian Social Science;2/28/2013, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p83
Following An Empirical Study on Problems Involved in CET4 Communicative Listening Test and Teaching. This article also selects two representative classes of sophomores coming from Hubei University of Education as the sample to complete the empirical research on what necessary renovations should...
- Are You an Active Listener? Ensman Jr., Richard G. // Stained Glass: Quarterly of the Stained Glass Association of Ame;Summer91, Vol. 86 Issue 2, p94
A personal evaluation on individual's active listening skill is presented.
- Turning neural activity into words. Welberg, Leonie // Nature Reviews Neuroscience;Mar2012, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p150
The article presents a study on the listening responses in non-primary auditory cortex to the spoken words, wherein it shows that the temporal gyrus converts the syllable and accurately reconstructs the original spoken word.
- Developing reading and listening comprehension tests based on the Sentence Verification Technique (SVT). Royer, James M. // Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy;Sep2001, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p30
Discusses the development of a reading and listening comprehension test based on the Sentence Verification Technique (SVT). Background on SVT tests; Purposes of comprehension assessment; Importance of SVT tests in enhancing academic growth.
- Application of the rule-space procedure to language testing: examining attributes of a free response listening test. Buck, G.; Tatsuoka, K. // Language Testing;Jul98, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p119
This study uses the rule-space methodology to explore the cognitive and linguistic attributes that underlie performance on an open-ended, short-answer, listening comprehension test. This is the first application of the methodology to language testing. The rule-space methodology is an adaptation...
- Context and content visuals and performance on listening comprehension stimuli. Ginther, A. // Language Testing;Apr2002, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p133
The listening comprehension section of the TOEFL has traditionally involved audio presentations of language without accompanying visual stimuli. Now that TOEFL is computer based, listening comprehension items are being created that include both audio and visual information. A nested cross-over...
- Improving Listening Comprehension among Malay Preschool Children Using Digital Stories. Abidin, Mohamad Jafre Zainol; Pour-Mohammadi, Majid; Souriyavongsa, Thongma; Tiang, Chin Da d/o Bun; Kim, Nancy Ong Liew // International Journal of Humanities & Social Science;Oct2011, Vol. 1 Issue 14, p159
This study investigated the effects of digital stories on the understanding of spoken English by a group of 6-year- old Malay preschool children. To realise this aim, a quasi-experimental research study was carried out in a suburban school in Penang, Malaysia. A pretest and a posttest were...
- Retrospective Analysis of Our Cases with Sudden Hearing Loss. Kiris, Muzaffer; �ankaya, Hakan; Kutluhan, Ahmet; I�li, Murat // Journal of Otolaryngology;Nov/Dec2003, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p384
Objective: To determine the prognostic factors and healing ranges of patients treated for sudden hearing loss (SHL). Patients and Methods: In our study, 33 patients treated for SHI. were evaluated between March 1995 and October 2001 retrospectively. After the routine examinations, first...