Pennsylvania: Edison on Hold
- Beginning in 1995, Edison Project to manage two schools in Wichita. Walsh, Mark // Education Week;5/18/94, Vol. 13 Issue 34, p9
Reports that the Edison Project has been given permission to run two schools in the Wichita, Kansas school district. Prospects of the agreement; Plans for new schools; Similar agreement between the Walt Disney Co. and the Osceola County, Florida school board.
- Deal Reached To Keep Edison in S.F. School. Walsh, Mark // Education Week;7/11/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 42, p8
Reports on the decision of San Francisco, California school districts to revoke Edison Schools Inc.'s contract of running the Edison Charter Academy. Reasons for the city's decision; Estimated loss that will be incurred by Edison from losing the contract; Projected number of schools that will...
- Edison reinvents itself. Harrington, John // Crain's New York Business;10/15/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 42, p65
Reports the financial status of Edison Schools Inc. in Manhattan, New York, New York. Decline in the stocks of the company; Completion of study of the Philadelphia school district; Contribution of the school district to the financial state of the company.
- For-profit Edison eyes local schools. Beaven, Stephen // Indianapolis Business Journal;09/08/97, Vol. 18 Issue 25, p1
Reports that the Edison Project is negotiating to operate elementary schools in two Indianapolis-area school districts. Potential obstacle to the negotiation from the teachers' union; Background information on the Edison Project.
- Dedicated Educators, Dead-End Management. Winans, Dave // NEA Today;Feb2003, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p14
Discusses the difficulties faced by the Chester Upland school district in Pennsylvania under the management of Edison Schools Inc. Impact of the spending cutbacks implemented by Edison on the quality of education provided in the school district; Information on the financial problems of Edison;...
- Mich. District Hires Edison To Manage Its Schools. Bowman, Darcia Harris // Education Week;02/23/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 24, p3
Discusses the decision of the leaders at Inkster school district in Michigan to hire Edison Schools Inc. to run all of their schools. Other districts that hired private companies to run individual schools; Factor which led to Inkster's decision; Statement issued by Deborah M. McGriff, executive...
- Mich. May Intervene in Inkster-Edison Standoff. Sack, Joetta L. // Education Week;5/1/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 33, p3
Reports on the intervention of the state in the dispute between school districts and Edison School Inc. in Inkster, Michigan. Threat of the state to appoint a manager to oversee the finances of the districts; Enforcement of system to pay its bill for the services of the company; Plan of Inkster...
- Edison To Study Woes of Philadelphia Schools. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;8/8/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 43, p3
Reports the selection of Edison Schools Inc. to review the student system in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Problems faced by the urban school districts; Context of the memorandum agreement between Governor Tom Ridge and Mayor John F. Street; Responsibilities of Edison Schools in the school...
- Parents want real answers. Boyd, Herb // New York Amsterdam News;03/22/2001, Vol. 92 Issue 12, p1
Focuses on start of a landmark vote on a proposal by Edison Schools Inc. to take over low-performing schools in five New York school districts. Last day of voting; Four voting options for parents with children in five local schools; ; United Federation of Teachers' opposition to the school...