MICHIGAN: Cuts From Above
- Mich. governor to propose sales-tax hike for education. Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;9/29/93, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p18
Reports on Michigan Governor John M. Engler's plans to resolve the state's self-imposed education-funding crisis by proposing an increase in sales-tax for education. Choice for voters; Nonrevival of property taxes; Deadline for enacting a new school-finance system; Referendum held by school...
- Michigan's model. Toch, Thomas // U.S. News & World Report;3/28/94, Vol. 116 Issue 12, p16
States that Michigan voters have taken a bold step toward narrowing their rich-poor gap when they approved a plan that replaces $4 billion in school funding from property taxes with revenues from a higher sales tax, a higher cigarette tax and an array of other levies. Placement of a spending...
- Michigan's Engler urges lawmakers to back $1 billion school program. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;09/26/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30239, p32
Reports on Michigan Governor John Engler's effort to ask Republican lawmakers to push forward a one billion dollar bond-financed plan that would repay school districts in Michigan. Engler's main reason on pushing the pension changes; Accusation of Democrats lawmakers against Governor Engler.
- The great tax switch. Van Biema, David; Sachs, Andrea // Time;3/28/1994, Vol. 143 Issue 13, p31
Contends that following years of painful maneuvering, Michigan may have found a better way to finance public schools. Under Gov. John Engler's leadership, Michigan has replaced property taxes almost completely as a means of funding their 3,286 public schools. Public vote to increase the sales...
- Officials Rally Tuesday To Override Engler's Veto. Emrich, Anne Bond // Grand Rapids Business Journal;8/12/2002, Vol. 20 Issue 32, p10
Reports on the protest to be staged by Michigan local government officials against Governor John Engler's elimination of the statutory revenue sharing funds for cities, counties and townships for fiscal year 2002. Goal of persuading legislators to override the government's veto of the funds;...
- It's Time To Party. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;8/12/2002, Vol. 20 Issue 32, p32
Comments on the planned demonstration of Michigan government officials against Governor John Engler's veto of the revenue sharing scheme in the 2002 budget. Impact of the veto on local finance; Reasons cited by Engler for the veto.
- Michigan's Governor Announces Road Plan. Wisniewski, Mary // Bond Buyer;05/16/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30892, p3
Reports on the road and bridge improvement financing proposal by Michigan Governor John Engler. Cost of the program; Plan to issue bonds; Cost of repairs.
- Budget priorities kill State Research Fund. Lane, Amy // Crain's Small Business -- Southeast Michigan Edition;Aug96, Vol. 4 Issue 8, p7
Focuses on the decision of Michigan Governor John Engler to cut funding for the State Research Fund as part of efforts to balance the state budget. Disappointment among the small business community; Benefits of the program for small businesses; Small Business Association of Michigan's plan to...
- Learners, taxpayers deserve better. // Grand Rapids Business Journal;3/18/96, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p4
Opinion. Comments on the controversy created by Governor John Engler's proposal for adult education spending in Michigan. Conditions for administering adult education programs in the state; Requirement for creating an Adult Education Block Grant according to Engler's proposal; Questions on the...