INDIANA: Big Speech
- Governor's tax proposal could use a tweak. // Indianapolis Business Journal;01/04/99, Vol. 19 Issue 43, p12
Editorial. Comments on Indiana Governor Frank O'Bannon's tax proposal. Need for tax reform; Legislators' need to use the governor's proposals as a starting point for creating a more comprehensive tax-relief package; Need to shift welfare costs from local governments to the state.
- Long road ahead for O'Bannon tax plan. // Indianapolis Business Journal;12/17/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 40, p19
Focuses on the plans of Governor Frank O'Bannon to restructure the tax system in Indiana. Attempt of the governor to rewrite the Indiana tax code; Plans to increase the taxes; Criticisms against the plans of the governor.
- O'Bannon will reappear at budget end-game. Feigenbaum, Edward D. // Indianapolis Business Journal;03/22/99, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p10A
Examine the role played by Indiana Governor Frank O'Bannon in the state legislature's budget process. O'Bannon's offering of a budget outline in 1997 that was light on tax and fiscal changes; Development of a compromise deal that satisfied the labor segment and provided spending and tax cuts;...
- Indiana Governor Calls Lawmakers Back Into Session, Demands Shortfall Solution. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/11/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31363, p32
Announces the special session of legislators with Indiana Governor Frank O'Bannon about tax restructuring and balancing. Concerns on budget deficits; Impact of tax increase on homeowners; Creation of deficit management plan.
- Statesmanship makes rare Capitol appearance. Feigenbaum, Ed // Indianapolis Business Journal;7/1/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 16, p14A
Discusses the impact of the budget relief and tax restructuring measure initiated by Governor Frank O'Bannon in Indianapolis, Indiana. Opponents of the measure; Reasons given by legislators for voting against the plan; Benefits of the bill according to the supporters.
- Litigation may threaten state's tobacco settlement. Schnitzler, Peter // Indianapolis Business Journal;4/14/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p5
Reports on the impact of a pending litigation against cigarette manufacturers on Indiana's share of the national tobacco settlement. Amount that Indiana is slated to receive; Argument of governor Frank O'Bannon that; Indiana should issue bonds to preserve the value of the tobacco settlement.
- A case for property tax? Barkey, Patrick M. // Indiana Business Magazine;Nov2001, Vol. 45 Issue 11, p88
Focuses on the local governments reliance on property taxes and the tax reform proposal of Governor Frank O'Bannon in Indiana. Failure of political leaders to deliver meaningful changes on property tax laws; Application of state taxes to internet commerce; Comments on the unchanged property tax...
- Indiana Edges Toward Lower Premium Tax. Mazier, E.E. // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;01/29/2001, Vol. 105 Issue 5, p26
Reports the decision of the Indiana Senate to vote in favor of Governor Frank O'Bannon's veto of a bill to lower the insurance premium tax rate in the state. Details on the law; Reason for the decision of O'Bannon to veto the bill; Explanations from Representative Craig R. Fry (D-Ind.) on the bill.
- Indiana governor has change of heart in tax-relief campaign, but still wary. Goldsmith, Steve // Bond Buyer;12/12/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30291, p3
Reports on the position taken by Indiana Governor Frank O'Bannon, on Republican tax-relief campaign during the week of December 12, 1997. Information on O'Bannon's previous position on Republican tax-relief campaign; Amount of money in tax cuts the General Assembly approved; When these tax cuts...