Flood ruins Easter dreams
- Dreams opens 200th store. // Cabinet Maker;4/17/2009, Issue 5633, p7
The article reports on the opening of the 200th superstore of Dreams PLC in Tamworth, England on April 10, 2009. It states that the 10,000-square-foot new store indicated that the company has doubled the number of stores in its network since 2003. It also mentions that it is one of 35 scheduled...
- Supa dupa. // NZ Marketing Magazine;Sep97, Vol. 16 Issue 8, following p54
Discloses the plans of entrepreneurs Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman to open a Supa Centre megastore in Manukau, New Zealand. Stores that plan to open in the megastore.
- Hypermarkets: A very big idea that never grew. D'Innocenzio, Anne // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;11/24/1993, Vol. 166 Issue 102, p1
Focuses on hypermarkets, outsized stores selling general merchandise and groceries. Success in Europe; Leedmark's filing of a Chapter 11 bankruptcy petition; Survival of Wal-Mart; Rejection of hypermarket concept in the United States.
- Megastore plan. // Crain's New York Business;10/27/97, Vol. 13 Issue 43, p12
Reports that the City Council in New York City selected A.K.R.F. to conduct an environmental review of over 60 sites that were selected as sites for superstores. Debate as to whether the City Council will approve these megastore sites; When A.K.R.F. is expected to conduct the review.
- How big is too big? Warner, Bernhard // Brandweek;12/02/96, Vol. 37 Issue 46, p38
Reports on the growth of hypermarkets in the United States. Remarks of Wall Street analyst regarding megastore formats; Hypermarkets' reputation for unpleasant shopping experience; Disadvantages of infusing entertainment in superstores; Customers' demand for convenience and unlimited selections.
- MAPCO opens superstores. // Alaska Business Monthly;Oct97, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p14
Reports that two superstores were opened by MAPCO Express in Anchorage, Alaska in mid-August 1997. Location of the two superstores at DeBarr and Boniface, and Old Seward and O'Mally.
- Value megamalls battle for New Jersey. // Chain Store Age;Dec96, Vol. 72 Issue 12, p185
Reports on the increased competition among hypermarkets in New Jersey. Vacancy rates; Effective average rents; Expansion of conventional retail; Home Depot and Wal-Mart as among the big boxes expanding in southern New Jersey.
- Vegas is 1st to be WOW!ed by superstore. Fitzpatrick, Eileen // Billboard;8/19/95, Vol. 107 Issue 33, p1
Reports on the opening of WOW! The Multimedia Superstore in Las Vegas, Nevada. Superstore as joint venture between Tower Records/Video/Books and Good Guys!; Comparison with competitors; Sharing of overhead costs; Other ventures with the same concept.
- Shootout: Camelback road revisited. Jayroe, Walt // Publishers Weekly;7/25/1994, Vol. 241 Issue 30, p17
Reports on the competition of superstores in the East Camelback Road in Phoenix, Arizona. Closure of Doubleday store due to the opening of Kmart's Borders store; Failure of Houle's store to compete against Borders; Performance of Borders and Bookstar stores.