Texas House Speaker Calls for Reopening School Fund Probe
- Saving a Small Town. Rapoport, Abby // Texas Observer: A Journal of Free Voices;12/10/2010, Vol. 102 Issue 22, p30
The article looks at the rise and fall of Halen Center, a farming community in Texas. Pete Laney, former Democratic speaker of the Texas House, recalls the town's heyday, including two stoplights, four grocery stores and a hospital. A discussion on the current condition of the town is provided,...
- Pete Laney. Smith, Evan // Texas Monthly;Apr2006, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p64
The article presents an interview with Texas Representative Pete Laney. He believes that the legislature changes with every leadership change. Each individual leader has his own style, but the membership lets that style exist. At least 76 of the 150 members dictate who sits in that position. His...
- Hill watch. // State Legislatures;May98, Vol. 24 Issue 5, NCSL Inside p2
Provides an update on state legislatures. Highlights of the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) Leader to Leader meeting in February 1998; Information on the letter of speakers Tim Ford, Pete Laney and Daniel Webster in connection with the vital piece of tobacco settlement legislation.
- 2002 A RACE ODYSSEY. Burka, Paul // Texas Monthly;Mar2001, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p142
Highlights the possible candidates for the 2002 elections in Texas. Phil Gramm for senatorial re-election; Rick Perry for governor; Bill Ratliff for lieutenant governor; Pete Laney as speaker of the House.
- The 6 billion dollar men. Burka, Paul // Texas Monthly;Jan99, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p118
Focuses on the how to handle the six billion dollars worth of surplus in the state of Texas. Tasks of politicians George W. Bush, Rick Perry and Pete Laney on the session of the 76th Legislature; Other issues for the session; Focus on Bush.
- OVERSIGHT. // Hill;4/10/2008, Vol. 15 Issue 39, p8
The article offers news about legislative committee actions in the United States.
- Shays Committee targets government bungling of Gulf War illness studies. Russell, Keith; Lucier, James P. // Insight on the News;03/16/98, Vol. 14 Issue 10, p6
Editorial. Focuses on a hearing involving the House subcommittee on Government Reform and Oversight headed by Christopher Shays, Republican representative. Agenda of the hearings; Reference to a Shays committee report; Contents and allegations of that report; Other information.
- What are some of the proposed new House committees? // American Prospect;Mar2011, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p7
The article provides an answer to a question about proposed new U.S. House Committees.
- Legislature Sitting Marks 125 Years. // India -- West;1/11/2013, Vol. 38 Issue 8, pA44
The article offers information on a special sitting held by the Uttar Pradesh, India Assembly on January 6, 2013 to mark the 125th year of the state legislature.