Informal Sector in Port Moresby and Lae, Papua New Guinea: Activities and Government Response
- Too Many Illiterate Texans. Wentworth, Jeff // Bulverde Standard (Canyon Lake, TX);9/10/2008, Vol. 24 Issue 37, p6
The article reports the high illiteracy rate in Texas.
- On the shadow political economy of the post-communist transformation. Papava, V.; Khaduri, N. // Problems of Economic Transition;Oct97, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p15
Characterizes the shadow economy of Russia from the post-communist transformation. Explanation of the institutional economic theory; Description of formal institutions (FI) and informal institutions; FI as the basis of the legal economy of any society; Operation of the shadow economy; Padding...
- Black economy booming. Balch, Roger // Asian Business Review;May95, p11
Reports on the total value of South Korea's underground economy for 1995.
- What happens when you tax to the max. Woodard, Joe // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;5/10/93, Vol. 20 Issue 21, p17
Cites figures among a number of recent reports on the magnitude of the underground economy in Canada. Poor public compliance with GST; Climb of 400 percent in seizures of bootleg liquor from the US; Decline in Saskatchewan in sales tax collections, despite a rise in the tax; Underreporting on...
- Taxed to the limits of honesty. Jenkinson, Michael // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;6/21/93, Vol. 20 Issue 27, p10
Examines signs that the unwritten accord between Canadians and Revenue Canada in regard to honest reporting of taxable earnings is being breached and indications, ranging from bootleg cigarette sales to GST evasion, of a burgeoning underground economy. Three clear indicators that...
- The second economy and transformation of the economic system. Mroz, Bogdan // Russian & East European Finance & Trade;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p14
Focuses on the second economy and economic transition of Poland in 1989. Impact of the transition on a market economy and a Western-style democratic system; Cause of the rise of informal and unregistered economic activities; Unpaid taxes and social securities contributions of unregistered...
- The Shadow Economy. Fleming, Matthew H.; Roman, John; Farrell, Graham // Journal of International Affairs;Spring2000, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p387
Presents an overview of issues relating to questions about the shadow economy. Definitions of shadow economy; Importance of studying the shadow economy; Why the shadow economy needs measurement.
- Clandestine Economies, Violence and States in Africa. Reno, William // Journal of International Affairs;Spring2000, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p433
Deals with the development of clandestine economies as they operate in chaotic parts of Africa. How Shadow State rulers address the internal dilemma of clandestine commerce; Discussion on the privatization of sovereignty.
- The `Natasha' Trade: The Transnational Shadow Market of Trafficking in Women. Hughes, Donna M. // Journal of International Affairs;Spring2000, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p625
Deals with the shadow economic market of trafficking in women for the purpose of sexual exploitation. Statistics on women trafficking; Analysis of the growth of shadow economies and transnational criminal networks; Methods of recruitment and trafficking.