Federal Government Must Pay for Water to Protect Species Under the Endangered Species Act
- Water, Inc. // NACLA Report on the Americas;Jul/Aug2004, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p14
Explores issues concerning water rights in Latin America.
- The Appraisal Docket. Theiss, William R. // Appraisal Journal;Apr73, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p269
Presents rulings and precedents on matters affecting real property valuation in the United States. Right of a riparian owner to compensation for a taking; Rights of a property owner in air and water; Legislation on air and water rights; Law concerning damages for airplane flights.
- Water Wars. Richards, Scott; Orr, Carolyn // State Government News;Mar2003, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p19
Deals with the conflict among U.S. states generated by the increasing demand for water as of March 2003. Factors which contributed to the water shortage; Statement issued by David Kranz, assistant manager of the California Farm Bureau; States that have been involved in negotiations on the...
- Competition for a Limited Resource: Who Gets the Water? DIFFENDERFER, MICHELLE // Journal: American Water Works Association;Mar2012, Vol. 104 Issue 3, p15
The article discusses the water system in South Florida which serves as a model as it highlights the city's water appropriation system and its unique environmental resources and history of development. The city's adoption to the Florida Water Resources Act (FWRA) of 1972, which builds a modified...
- THE GROWING WATER CRISIS: PUBLIC POLICY VERSUS PRIVATE PROPERTY RIGHTS. Timmons, James D.; Womack, Lara // Real Estate Issues;Summer2003, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p1
Discusses several water issues in the U.S. Water shortage due to droughts and urban growth; Federal agencies involved in water projects in the U.S.; Approaches to determining legal rights to water in the U.S.; Definition of Riparian rights; Alternatives in solving the water crisis.
- Administration of Water Rights in California. Ferrier, Hugh W. // California Law Review;Dec56, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p833
Deals with the appropriations of water resources in California under the Water Commission Act. Purpose of the Water Commission Act; Functions of the State Water Rights Board in water rights administration; Law of water rights in California.
- The Economical Use of Water as Affecting the Extent of Rights Under the Doctrine of Prior Appropriation. Adams, Frank // California Law Review;Jul14, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p367
Examines the economical use of water as affecting the extent of rights under the doctrine of prior appropriation in the U.S. Comparison between the doctrine of prior appropriation of water and the riparian doctrine of correlative rights from the point of view of social justice; Definition of...
- Political Water Rights. Wiel, Samuel C. // California Law Review;Jan1922, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p111
Discusses the political water rights in California. Details on the jurisdiction of water boundaries; Ruling of the U.S. Supreme Court on the case California versus Railroad Commission; Relation of the Pueblo Right of the city of Los Angeles related to water and land boundaries with Mexican law.
- Riparian rights. Stranks, Jeremy // A-Z of the Environment;2008, p364
Information about Riparian rights is presented. It refers to the rights of owners or occupiers of land and property adjacent to a river to the ordinary use of water flowing past their land. It highlights the Miner v. Gilmore case in 1859 which notes that every riparian proprietor has a right to...