ILLINOIS: Opening the Floor
- Job Cuts, Not Taxes. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/20/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31328, p32
Reports on Illinois governor George Ryan's proposed fiscal budget for the year 2003. Number of jobs proposed to be cut in the budget; Amount of reductions made in the budget compared to the previous one; Reasons for these cuts.
- Saving Gov. Ryan's budget: keep promises, limit debt. // Crain's Chicago Business;02/22/99, Vol. 22 Issue 8, p10
Remarks on the state budget of Illinois Governor George Ryan. Absence of plans on how to implement budget priorities for education, road improvements and other projects.
- Illinois Shaving Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;05/31/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31150, p1
Reports on the efforts of Illinois' legislative leaders and Governor George Ryan's budget aides to prepare the details of an agreement that would reduce capital spending from the proposed fiscal 2002 budget. Failure of negotiations to produce a consensus on a bond-financed expansion of...
- Illinois governor wants to finally save for rainy day. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;02/03/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30821, p3
Reports on Illinois Governor George Ryan's statement that the state should use its 2000 tobacco settlement payment to establish a budget reserve in case of an economic downturn. Release of the fiscal 2001 state budget; General obligation borrowing; Investment of tobacco proceeds to be received.
- Speaker Urges Purge. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;5/13/2009, Vol. 368 Issue 33114, p9
The article reports on the proposal of a purge of individuals appointed to state agency jobs and commissions by former governors Rod Blagojevich and George Ryan by House Speaker Michael Madigan in Illinois. Madigan estimated that about 3,000 people whose appointments needed Senate approval or...
- Illinois' Ryan Offers $53B Budget With Up to $6B in Pension Bonds. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/21/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31329, p3
Reports on the Illinois Governor George Ryan's offer for budget for fiscal year 2003. Expenditure plan of the budjet; Plan to sell the taxable pension bonds; Possibility of revenue growth of the state; Steps taken to reduce spending by Ryan.
- Short-Term Plan Won't Fly in Illinois. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/19/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31369, p1
Focuses on the suggestion of governor George Ryan to use short-term borrowing to cover the budget deficit in Chicago, Illinois. Need for a legislative approval to borrow from internal funds; Estimated losses of the government under tax changes in federal economic package; Various stand of...
- On the money: Ryan's budget priorities work. // Crain's Chicago Business;02/26/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p10
Comments on the proposed 2001 state budget Illinois Governor George Ryan. Appropriations for infrastructure; Increased finding for educational training, workforce development and public safety; Concerns over shortfalls in the Medicaid funding.
- Illinois Gov. Ryan's Budget Calls for Tobacco Funds to Back High-Tech Debt. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;02/22/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31082, p3
Reports on the fiscal 2002 state budget proposal for Illinois unveiled by Governor George Ryan. Use of tobacco settlement funds to cover debt service for high technology research facilities; Issuance of a state revolving fund bonds.