Using notes to sign up coppers
- MONEY FOR NOTHING? Benady, David // Marketing Week;8/22/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 34, p24
Comments on possible problems associated with the British government's spending on campaigns to encourage recruitment to the public service industries. Rise in applications as a result of advertisements with sanitized versions of reality; Possible increase in school dropout rates; Campaigns for...
- Competition time. Prashar, Baroness // People Management;8/9/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 16, p38
Offers a look at the reforms implemented in the British civil service. Factors driving the changes; Benefits of having consultants recruit senior posts; Role of the commissioner.
- Awards highlight teacher triumphs. // Public Finance;03/30/2001, p6
Reports on the finalists to the 2001 Public Servants of the Year Awards organized by the periodical 'Public Finance.' Finalists from the education sector; Background on the award.
- Shake-up in Hong Kong. Harding, David // Public Finance;10/01/99, p22
Looks at civil service issues in Hong Kong, China. Placement of civil servants on contracts where benefits are severely reduced; Introduction of performance-related pay; Greater competition for senior posts; Stricter system for penalizing staff; Attempts of the Hong Kong Special Administrative...
- Restoring the Public's Trust in Public Service. Cheng, Susan M. // Public Manager;Fall2002, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p51
Features an essay entitled 'Restoring the Public's Trust in Public Service.' Objectives in improving the image of government employment; Author's plans as a future public servant and eradicating government bureaucracy; Plan to collaborate with media and establishing a relationship between...
- Civil Service exam apps. available. // New York Amsterdam News;12/31/98, Vol. 90 Issue 1, p4
Reports on the availability of civil service examination applications from a Bronx district in New York City. Contact information.
- Jobless Claims Off 8,000 to 380,000. Sanchez, Humberto // Bond Buyer;8/17/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31205, p2
Reports on the decline in first-time applications for state employment in the United States in the week which ended on August 11, 2001.
- NOTE BOOK. Brooker, Simeon // Ebony;Dec1973, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p34
The article offers information on the 1973 honor roll for public service in the U.S. including Frank Wills, security guard of Watergate, William T. Coleman, a corporate lawyer, and Barbara Jordan, a Texas congresswoman.
- STARNES-SCRUGHAM ACT. // America;7/29/1944, Vol. 71 Issue 17, p435
The article comments on the provisions of the Starnes-Scrugham Act in the U.S. which was passed by Congress before its summer recess in 1944, involving veterans and their civil life. The law was enacted for the purpose of opening up civil-service jobs to veterans in the executive branch of the...