Confronting Subtle Emotional Abuse in Classrooms
- Classroom Behavioral Styles of Learning Disabled Boys. Richey, David d.; McKinney, James D. // Journal of Learning Disabilities;May1978, Vol. 11 Issue 5
Examines the learning disabled child's behavior in different classroom environments and differences in behavioral style. Comparison of the classroom behavior of learning disabled boys and matched normal boys; Differentiation of the two groups by distractibility only; Influence of...
- GIVE EARLY LITERACY A JUMPSTART BY USING 'ENVIRONMENTAL PRINT' IN YOUR CLASSROOM. // Report on Preschool Programs;Feb2009, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p2
The article presents questions and answers related to the concept of Environment Print including one on the essence of the concept, one on the use of environment print and its impact on children in the classroom and how can it be used in the classroom.
- Creating an Inclusive Classroom. Greenspan, Stanley I. // Early Childhood Today;Sep2001, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p33
Presents advice on creating a classroom environment for children with different needs. Information on functional-emotional capacities of children; Details of child development; Principles for creating an inclusive classroom.
- The Child Who Seems ANGRY. Greenberg, Polly // Early Childhood Today;Oct2005, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p14
Presents tips on how a teacher can help a child manage anger and frustration. Consideration of the classroom climate and schedule; Assistance of the child in dealing with altercations and other incidents in a nonviolent way; Avoidance of lecturing the child.
- Improving Classroom Behavior by Modifying Task Difficulty: Effects of Increasing the Difficulty of Too-Easy Tasks. Umbreit, John; Lane, Kathlee L.; Dejud, Carlos // Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions;Winter2004, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p13
Examines the effects of increasing task difficulty when inadequately challenging tasks are assigned. Case study of a 10-year-old, typically developing Caucasian boy, attending a fourth-grade general education classroom at a public elementary school; Positive acceptability ratings given by both...
- The Child's Culture of Classrooms (And How To Discover It). Sitton, Thad; Mehaffy, George L. // Educational Leadership;Apr78, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p521
Discusses the need for educators to study child culture through children's eyes in order to better understand the behaviors and reactions of the young with whom they come in contact. Culture of childhood in educational settings; Dominant scholarly model of childhood; Common-sense definition of...
- Setting the Stage for LEARNING. Church, Ellen Booth; Karnes, Merle // Early Childhood Today;Sep2003, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p38
Discusses ways to create a classroom environment for children that addresses all learning styles. Ways to create a multisensory environment; First thing that children do when they enter the classroom; Way to start to fulfill children's need for a sense of closeness in the classroom.
- Ask the expertï¿½handling change. Robinson, Maria // Nursery World;7/16/2009, Vol. 109 Issue 4178, p16
The article offers information on how to deal with young children in pre-schools who are having hard time to settle in the classroom environment. Settling young children enrolled at nursery schools can be done by seeing things from their perspectives, says the author. She stresses that...
- Positive Behavioral Support at the Classroom Level: Considerations and Strategies. Strout, Meridith // Beyond Behavior;Winter2005, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p3
This article describes the preventative, teaching, and maintenance strategies that teachers can apply to increase levels of behavioral success in the classroom. Positive behavioral support (PBS) refers to the application of positive behavioral interventions and systems to achieve socially...