A Quirk in Volume Cap Hike Penalizes 29 Largest States
- THE BOND BUYER LEGISLATIVE STATUS REPORT. // Bond Buyer;6/3/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31399, p37
Presents a chart depicting the legislative status of bond buyers in the U.S. Enactment of the Qualified Zone Academy Bond program; Status of the Internet Tax Nondiscriminant Act; Provisions of the clean water state revolving fund loan program.
- Fate of tax law proposals affecting bonds is still unclear. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/02/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30179, p1
Discloses that it is still uncertain whether several bond-related tax law changes will be enacted in 1997. Moves by the House and Senate to each adopt their own tax-cutting programs; United States President Bill Clinton's release of his own comprehensive tax cut plan. INSET: Mirror company,...
- IRS ruling: Airport PFCs fail private-payment test. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;09/04/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30223, p5
Focuses on the Internal Revenue Service's private-letter ruling released in September 1997, which deemed bonds backed by passenger facility charges that finance airport improvements for private businesses as private-activity bonds and are thus subject to alternative minimum tax. Terms of the...
- Appeals court: Individual cannot depreciate tax-exempt bonds. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;03/06/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30345, p4
Reports on the ruling of the US Federal Court of Appeals in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma exempting individual for depreciation deductions for alleged life interest in tax-exempt bonds. Background on the case involving tax attorney Julian P. Kornfeld; Legislative basis of the court's decision.
- Tax Negotiators Moving Slowly; New Bond Provisions Added. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;05/25/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31147, p4
Reports on the efforts of United States House and Senate tax negotiators to hammer out a compromise between both chambers' tax measures that contain tax-exempt bond provisions. Points of contention between Democrats and Republicans; Key provisions of the bills.
- Bush Enacts Law That Will Spur Issuance of School Bonds. Kinnander, Ola // Bond Buyer;06/08/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31156, p4
Reports the signing of tax bill by President George Bush in Washington. Purpose of designing the tax-exempt bond; Criticisms against the tax-exempt bond; Public curiosity over the debate of minimum wage increase in the Congress.
- Issuer's late payment does not mean bonds are taxable, says IRS ruling. Resnick, Amy B. // Bond Buyer;04/07/98, Vol. 324 Issue 30367, p4
Reports that the Internal Revenue Service released a ruling concluding that certain bonds issued by an unidentified party are not taxable and that the issuer deserves a refund. Bond lawyers' reactions to the ruling; Specific cases for which the ruling applies.
- Health care mergers factor into move to lift 501(c)(3) cap. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/16/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30188, p1
Reports on the US Senate's agreement to repeal the cap on the amount of tax-exempt bonds that nonhospital 501(c)(3) organizations can have outstanding. Lobbying by industry representatives to ensure that the cap will no longer hinder mergers and joint ventures in the health care sector; Issue...
- De minimis effort moves into crucial stage. Stanton, Michael // Bond Buyer;07/29/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30197, p4
Reports that bond representatives from the US Congress and President Bill Clinton's administration are negotiating over legislation that would implement the balanced budget agreement's $85 billion net tax cut on bonds. Concern about several municipal bond-related provisions.