HOPE on the SCOPE
- Turning the corner on addiction. Read, Edward M. // Federal Probation;Dec95, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p11
Presents a probation officer's account of the case of Tanya, a drug addict and convict who successfully went through a residential program under the officer's care.
- Arresting the demon. Whetzel, Jay S. // Federal Probation;Dec95, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p14
Presents a pretrial service officer's account of the case of Karen who was arrested for possession of cocaine and went through probation under the officer's care.
- Not a simple matter. Chambers, Jeffrey E. // Federal Probation;Dec95, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p16
Presents a probation officer's account of the case of Lori who was convicted for selling cocaine and underwent rehabilitation under the officer's care.
- Running from drugs. Rodale, R. // Runner's World;Oct88, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p22
Opinion. Discusses how running helps drug addicts break their addiction, fell good about themselves, and renew their spirits.
- Running from drugs II. Rodale, B. // Runner's World;Feb89, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p24
Opinion. Reiterates fact that running can help recovering addicts. Feels runners who want to be more involved with fighting drug problem have many options. Suggests getting involved with DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) which is geared for school-age children; Contact local drug...
- Medic with a mission. McKinney, R.E. // Ebony;Aug1989, Vol. 44 Issue 10, p134
Profile of Dr. Beny J. Primm, 61, founder and executive director of the Addiction Research and Treatment Corporation in New York, N.Y. How Primm became interested in treating heroin addiction; Methadone therapy; ARTC outpatient treatment program.
- Neurocognitive defects and their impact on substance abuse treatment. Fals-Stewart, William // Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling;Apr93, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p46
Investigates the impact of neurocognitive defects on ability of narcotic addicts to complete substance abuse treatments. Percent of dropout rates from program; Method of data collection; Comparison of treatment participation and compliance; Length of stay in residence; Demographic and background...
- The role of spirituality in recovery from chemical dependency. Johnsen, Eric // Journal of Addictions & Offender Counseling;Apr93, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p58
Evaluates the impact of spirituality on speed of recovery of narcotic addicts from chemical dependency. Method of data collection; Use of prayer and meditation to abstain from use of mind-altering chemicals.
- Variables identified for treatment drop-outs. // Addiction Letter;Apr96, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p4
Presents an abstract of the article `Patient Factors Related to Early Attrition from an Outpatient Cocaine Research Clinic,' by Vito Agosti et al, published in the `American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse.' Identification of variables for treatment dropouts in outpatient facilities in New York.