Court Ruling May Boost Municipalities' Telecom Efforts
- The road to cyberville. McClelland, Stephen // Telecommunications - International Edition;Feb99, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p8
Comments on the challenges faced by the telecommunications industry in big cities. Move of middle class taxpayers to the suburbs; Creation of the virtual city; Provision of telecommunication services to cities as a second priority.
- Global Grids of Glass: On Global Cities, Telecommunications and Planetary Urban Networks. Graham, Stephen // Urban Studies (Routledge);May99, Vol. 36 Issue 5/6, p929
Examines the linkages among telecommunication grids, global cities and planetary urban networks. Discussion on global cities, telecommunication liberalization and urban competitiveness; Case study of London, England; Customizing planetary archipelagos of global city networks.
- Cities and communications technology. Kolko, Jed // Regional Review;Spring97, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p5
Focuses on the effects of communications technology on cities in the United States. Facilitating of human interaction and the exchange of ideas and information; Spread and falling cost of communications technology; Potential encouragement of more face-to-face interactions; Common use of e-mail...
- e-commerce READY. Lewis, Valerie // America's Network;9/1/2001, Vol. 105 Issue 13, p49
Reports the impact of the modern telecommunication infrastructure on business to small rural towns in the United States. Certification on electronic commerce received by the town; Approval for the Information Age; Total cost of basic infrastructure in Indian country. INSET: bunrt BRIDGES.
- Information superbyways: Cities and counties get plugged in. Shapard, Rob // American City & County;Feb96, Vol. 111 Issue 2, p20
Discusses the use of telecommunications technology by cities and towns in the United States for improved efficiency of operations. Practice of several schools to use cameras and fiber optic cables to conduct classes; Provision of remote access to government records by counties. INSETS: Fiber...
- Rating the World's Top 20 Telecoms Hubs. Lynch, Grahame; Tanner, John C.; Castillo, Ricardo; Levine, Shira; Neighly, Patrick; Chan, Tony; Clark, Robert // Telecom Asia;Sep2000, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p26
Presents the ranking of top telecommunications cities in the world. Attributes making a city a genuine center of telecommunications activity; Basis of the criteria for the ranking; Implication of political cronyism for the rankings.
- Telecom Tax Reform. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;04/26/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30878, p1
Reports on the progress of legislation calling for telecommunication reform in Florida. Creation of the Communications Services Tax Simplification Law; Florida League of Cities' support for the bills; Plan for the streamlining of telecommunication taxes.
- Regulators Like Support for Telecom Regs. Haugsted, Linda // Multichannel News;6/18/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 25, p36
Focuses on the right of way policy controversy involving the municipalities of Coral Springs and Palm Beach in Florida. Attempt to require franchises or licenses for local-telephone providers; Lawsuit filed by Bellsouth challenging the right of way policies of the towns; Impact of the...
- Cities compete with private sector by investing in telco infrastructure. Stephenson, Howard // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;10/20/2003, Vol. 33 Issue 17, p30
Reports on the efforts of several cities in Utah to pursue a plan to invest in a fiber optic network that will include last mile connections to businesses and residences. Information on the consortium called the Utah Telecom Open Infrastructure Agency (UTOPIA); Benefits of the network;...