MBIA Pushes for Tax Law Change That Could Affect Competitors
- The Law You Broke Today. Hofman, Mike // Inc.;Dec2002, Vol. 24 Issue 13, p22
Reports on the passing of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, a law that imposes criminal penalties on company owners and employees who impede federal investigations in the U.S. Congress. Concerns of executives on the broad language of the law.
- The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Setting Up An LLC. Jackson, Tom // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;8/5/2002, Vol. 216 Issue 14, p26
Presents a question and answer advisory on the advantages and disadvantages of setting up a Limited Liability Company (LLC) in the U.S. Form of legislation authorizing the formation of LLC; Protection from liability; Flexibility of the business owners in managing the company.
- SEC results certification rule may increase D&O exposures. Wojcik, Joanne // Business Insurance;8/19/2002, Vol. 36 Issue 33, p3
Reports the implications of the legislation requiring the financial statements of the companies in the U.S. Creation of an opportunity for risk managers to take a more holistic approach in managing risk; Certification of the accuracy and completeness of the financial reports of the companies;...
- Financial Reports and Lemons. Voorhees, William R. // PA Times;Aug2002, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p9
Comments on the effect of corporate accounting scandal on the capital market in the U.S. Assessment on the ability of investors on determining good and bad companies; Importance of the Public Company Accounting Reform and Investor Protection Act on preventing accounting irregularities;...
- Potential tax law changes may affect businesses. Auer, Tonie // Fort Worth Business Press;12/01/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 32, p11
Focuses on the effects of potential tax law changes on businesses in the United States. Social Security wage base for 2000; Federal per diem rates; Tax issues in education.
- The Year that Didn't Add Up. Daks, Martin // Business News New Jersey;1/1/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p9
Examines the impact of tax reforms on business industries in the United States. Effect of tax code changes on income tax liabilities of partnerships in New Jersey; Repeal of the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2000; Closure of Enron in Houston, Texas.
- Telemarketers hanging up. Solnik, Claude // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);7/18/2003, Vol. 50 Issue 30, p5A
Reports on the impact of the federal do-not-call list on telemarketing firms in the U.S. Creation of the national do-not-call registry by the Federal Communications Commission; Estimation on the number of jobs lost; Reduction of the budget spent on telemarketing.
- ILECs are crying wolf over regulation. Johnson, Johna Till // Network World;10/14/2002, Vol. 19 Issue 41, p38
Focuses on the effect of unbundled network element-platform (UNE-P) regulation on the telecommunication industry in the U.S. Reduction in the ability of local exchange carriers to purchase hardware and software; Effect of UNE-P on BellSouth, Qwest, SBC Communications and Verizon; Decision of...
- Sarbanes-Oxley is Law, CPAs Must Move On. Trexler, Albert // Pennsylvania CPA Journal;Fall2002, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p64
Focuses on the impact of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act on certified public accountants (CPA) in the U.S. Changes in the auditing standards of CPA; Effects of the law on business enterprises; Provision of the law.