NEWS IN BRIEF
- Giving credit where it's due. Cohen, Claire Gorham // State Government News;May97, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p28
Reports that higher credit ratings enable states in the United States to save on interest expense which can be channeled to needy programs and projects. Relations cultivated by California with credit rating agencies; Criteria for measuring state credit risk; Ups and downs of ratings. INSET:...
- S&P report: As their surpluses have grown, so have state's credit ratings. Cintron, Ivan // Bond Buyer;12/01/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30530, p9
Informs about a Standard & Poor's `CreditWeek' report which indicated that the credit quality of American states has improved as they have built up their reserves. States' move to take advantage of good economy to expand their surpluses; Steadily increasing ratings for state general obligation...
- Credit agencies. // Hill;8/2/2011, Vol. 18 Issue 115, p24
The author reflects on the concerns over the downgrading of credit ratings in the U.S. wherein the Congress' attention has been called to decisively act on entitlement spending, tax collection, and other controversial issues in public finance.
- Ratings Should Hold, NGA Official Says. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;06/21/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31165, p5
Reports the decline of financial status of states due to the slow revenue growth in the United States. Impact of the fiscal weakening on credit ratings and bonds; Proposal of state governors for an increase in general fund sending; Reliance of states on tax goods instead of services.
- Fitch Downgraded Six Times More Value Than It Upgraded Last Year. Slavin, Robert // Bond Buyer;2/1/2012, Vol. 379 Issue 33656, p7
The article reports on the deterioration of public finance ratings in the U.S. as Fitch Ratings Ltd. downgraded nearly six time more value of public finance debt than it upgraded in 2011.
- The U.S. Is Not 'Credit-Positive'. Kaper, Stacy // National Journal;5/18/2013, p13
An interview with Standard & Poor's credit analyst Nikola Swann is presented. He discloses lack of improvement since the 2011 credit rating downgrade incurred by the U.S. federal government. He stresses the need for U.S. lawmakers to establish an agreement on fiscal consolidation. He also talks...
- Moody's: Upgrades Increased in 1Q of 2014. Jagoda, Naomi // Bond Buyer;4/30/2014, Vol. 123 Issue 34101, p1
The article reports that Moody's Investors Service Inc. has upgraded 97 credits in the municipal market in the first quarter of 2014. Topics discussed include improvement of issuers' financial positions due to sustained revenue growth, downgrade of 150 credits during the quarter and downgrade of...
- market turbulence creates financing opportunity. Cooper Jr., James H. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Mar2012, Vol. 66 Issue 3, p58
The article discusses the financial performance of the U.S. and it implications on the healthcare sector. It notes the move of Standard & Poor's Corp. in downgrading the government's credit rating on August 5, 2011. Moreover, it indicates that decline has provide opportunity for hospitals,...
- Pew Releases Snapshot of States' Long-Term Liabilities. Hume, Lynn // Investment Management Mandate Pipeline;8/20/2014, p2
The article highlights the States' Fiscal Health report published by nonprofit organization The Pew Charitable Trusts which indicated the U.S. states economies, budget and finances. Topics discussed include the impact of state assets on borrowing costs, credit ratings and financial resources,...