Oregon Governor Vetoes Cigarette-Tax Backed Debt for Schools
- Maryland Senate OKs Cigarette Tax Hike. Vekshin, Alison // Bond Buyer;4/5/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31359, p31
Reports on te Senate approval to increase the cigarette tax in Maryland. Increase in state spending on public schools; Price of a cigarette pack; State aid to local school system.
- School building blocked. Tita, Bob // Crain's Chicago Business;5/27/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 21, p4
Reports the threats posed by budget crisis on state spending on school construction and renovation in Chicago, Illinois. Proposal of increase in cigarette taxes in order to raise funds; Amount needed by the state education to continue the construction program; Concerns of school administrators.
- Calif. Initiative Would Spend Cigarette-Tax Hike on Children. Jacobson, Linda // Education Week;10/21/98, Vol. 18 Issue 8, p18
Focuses on Proposition 10, a California initiative that would spend funds from a cigarette-tax hike on children. Involvement of liberal Rob Reiner with the California Children and Families Initiative; Supporters of Proposition 10; Provisions of the proposition.
- Taxing option. // NEA Today;May94, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p8
Reports on the raising of sales taxes and cigarette taxes for the funding of public schools in Michigan.
- Texas House Hikes Taxes On Cigarettes. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/28/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32370, p1
The article reports that the Texas House has approved a cigarette tax hike but rejected a proposal to issue bonds for schools. The bond measure was stripped from HB 5, which was primarily written to provide supplementary revenue to fund public education. The Texas Supreme Court in November 2005...
- Gov. Kitzhaber, Lawmakers at Odds Over School Funds. Gehring, John // Education Week;2/20/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 23, p16
Focuses on Democratic Governor John Kitzhaber of Oregon and the $715 million budget deficit. Outlook for a fiscal plan that Kitzhaber vowed to veto; Refusal of Republican legislators to support tax increases proposed by Kitzhaber; Indication that the Republican controlled House and Senate...
- Oregon Governor Proposes $18.6B Budget. Chin, Tonya // Bondbuyer.com;12/2/2014, p25
The article reports on the proposal of Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber to spend over half of an 18.6 billion-dollar budget on schools, community colleges and universities in the state. Topics discussed include the state's 40-40-20 educational goal by 2025, the voters' failure to approve Ballot...
- MIDWEST BOND-WATCH. // Bond Buyer;11/19/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31765, p35
Reports development related to bonds as of November 2003. Revision of Standard & Poor's outlook on Edward Health Services Corp.; Increase of cigarette tax; Balance of budget in education funds.
- Statehouse battles brew as session winds down. Feigenbaum, Ed // Indianapolis Business Journal;4/18/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 6, p14
Focuses on several legislative agenda that lawmakers need to accomplish before the end of the statehouse session in Indiana. Implementation of the daylight-saving time legislation in the state; Amendments in the educational funding; Proposition for tax increases on cigarettes.