NEWS IN BRIEF
- NEWS IN BRIEF. Vekshin, Alison; O'Connor, Jeanine // Bond Buyer;8/14/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31449, p2
Reports economic developments in the U.S. as of August 2002. Stability of the federal funds rate; Increase sales of the retailers; Decline of the credit rating of the University Community Hospital.
- NEWS IN BRIEF. Vekshin, Alison; Ferris, Craig T.; Siegel, Gary E. // Bond Buyer;9/11/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31468, p2
Reports economic developments in the U.S. as of September 2002. Marketing of cash management bills by the Treasury Department; Decline of the manufacturing activity; Decline of the credit ratings for the public improvement sales tax refunding bonds.
- Credit quality gains independence from regional trends. Harris, Elizabeth E. // Bond Buyer;11/05/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30515, p30
Reports on the growing independence of individual state credits from regional economic trends in the United States. Factors driving the trend; Focus on individual credits and less on the region surrounding it; Sectors that will continue to define regions; Sensitivity to global trends.
- Moody's: Slowdown Not Hurting Munis. // Bond Buyer;04/10/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31115, p2
Reports that the United States economic slowdown has not affected municipal credit quality. Downgrades in credit rating; Problems with corporate income taxes.
- From the TM3 wire. Marois, Michael B.; William, Selway // Bond Buyer;07/31/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30447, p2
Reports on economic developments in the United States, compiled as of July 31, 1998. Includes the assignment of Standard & Poor's AAA issuer credit rating to the Silicon Valley city of Palo Alto in California; Labor Department's report on the country's employment cost index for the second...
- MARKET STATISTICS. // Bond Buyer;10/8/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31487, p33
Presents charts and graphs depicting several market indicators in the U.S. Performance of municipal bonds; Prices of treasury bills; Credit ratings.
- WASHINGTON REPORT. // Modern Machine Shop;Oct2000, Vol. 73 Issue 5, p48
Discusses the developments in the economy of the United States as of October 2000. Reasons for the productivity of the economy; Increases in productivity; Introduction of a legislation for the use of unemployment insurance trust funds for family leave; Overview of a proposal to reform...
- The Upside of Unemployment Insurance. Schmitt, John // American Prospect;07/31/2000, Vol. 11 Issue 17, p10
Comments on a study that concludes that the United States' unemployment insurance system may actually improve economic efficiency. Argument that financially pressed workers are quick to take low-skill, low-wage jobs; Research suggesting that the unemployment insurance system is stingy.
- Jobless Claims Up 14,000 to 313,000. Floyd, Daniel F. // Bond Buyer;08/18/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30957, p2
Cites the rise in the number of first-time applications for state unemployment benefits in the United States for the week ended August 12, 2000. Seasonally adjusted insured unemployment rate; State where the highest increase in job claims was posted.