Secrets to managing your lawyer
- Center of attention. LaWell, Matthew // Smart Business Akron/Canton;Nov2010, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p20
The article discusses the importance of a strong relationship between a business manager and his attorney. With a good legal adviser, a businessman will be able to take advantage of rare economic opportunities as he reexamines his business strategy and studies the ever changing economic...
- ABANDONING AN "UNETHICAL" SYSTEM OF LEGAL ETHICS. Barnhizer, David // Michigan State Law Review;2012, Vol. 2012 Issue 2, p347
The article focuses on the poor and unethical professional service provided by lawyers due to the economic pressures and oversupply of lawyers. It states that lawyers now-a-days run their law practices as a business man and extracts as much revenue as possible regardless of the welfare of...
- Attorney-client privilege gets high-profile exposure. Riggs, Randall R.; Bedsole, Thomas F. // Defense Counsel Journal;Oct97, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p630
Discusses the applications of the attorney-client privilege to important people in the United States. Principles underlying the privilege; Disclosure of Hillary Clinton's conversations; Supreme Court's 1981 decision on `Upjohn Co. v. United States.'
- Discharged lawyers must give files to client. // Defense Counsel Journal;Jan1998, Vol. 65 Issue 1, p146
Reports on the New York Court of Appeals' ruling that former clients must be accorded access to `inspect and copy documents possessed by the lawyer relating to the representation unless substantial grounds exist to refuse.' Case arising from Sage Realty Corp.'s attempt to obtain from its former...
- The blame game. Podgers, James // ABA Journal;Sep95, Vol. 81 Issue 9, p44
Deals with the trend for criminal defendants to try to reverse convictions by claiming ineffective counsel. Difficulty to succeed in a claim of ineffective representation; Defendant's need, under the two-part test in `Strickland versus Washington,' to show that the counsel provided ineffective...
- Lawyers and the defense of the presidency. Lund, Nelson // Brigham Young University Law Review;1995, Vol. 1995 Issue 1, p17
Discusses the role of a presidential legal counsel. Synopsis of the Nussbaum-Clinton controversy; Doctrine of self-interest; Analytical framework; Exploration of the United States President George Bush administration's unprecedented effort to implement a serious and systematic legal strategy...
- Executive legal decisions merit counsel. Khorey, David; Rohn, Bill // Grand Rapids Business Journal;3/13/95, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p21
Stresses the importance of legal counsel in making employment decisions. Scenarios; Legal counsel's identification of factors to be considered in deciding what to do about legal matters; Need for qualitative assessment of business decisions.
- Striving to Best Serve the Corporate Client. // Corporate Legal Times;Jul99, Vol. 9 Issue 92, p1
Reports on the benefits corporate clients receive when there is clear communication between law firms and law departments.
- Sign, seal and deliver. Aniekwu, Bobby // ABA Journal;Oct94, Vol. 80 Issue 10, p94
Focuses on retainer agreements between lawyers and clients. Purpose and advantages of retainer agreements; Ways to use nonbillable hours to solidify or expand a practice.