Managing the aftermath of shingles
- Treatment for herpes zoster. // Modern Medicine;Sep95, Vol. 63 Issue 9, p27
Reports that Valacyclovir HCL has been approved for the treatment of herpes zoster in immunocompetent adult. Recommended dosage.
- Famciclovir is effective for treating shingles. // Modern Medicine;Dec95, Vol. 63 Issue 12, p52
Presents an abstract of the report `Famciclovir for the Treatment of Acute Herpes Zoster: Effects on Acute Disease and Postherpetic Neuralgia,' by S. Tyring, R.A Barbarash et al from the `Ann Intern Med' dated July 15, 1995.
- Valacyclovir has been cleared for shingles. Cerrato, Paul L. // RN;Dec95, Vol. 58 Issue 12, p79
Reports that valacyclovir which is used for the treatment of herpes zoster in adults have recently been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). How the drug works; Recommended dose; When the drug is most effective.
- Shingles: More convenient antiviral agents are on the horizon. // Geriatrics;Jan94, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p19
Presents information on the new antiviral drugs which can be used by physicians in treating herpes zoster. Problems and drawbacks; Other information.
- Shingles treatment. // Geriatrics;Sep94, Vol. 49 Issue 9, p14
States that antiviral famciclovir (Famvir) is approved for the treatment of acute herpes zoster or shingles. Recommended dosage; Recommendation for patients with impaired renal function; Adverse reactions to famciclovir.
- Shingles gets the slide. Munson, Marty; Higbee, Beth // Prevention;Feb95, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p52
Cites results of a study of a new drug for the pain of shingles, famciclovir. How the drug prevents the painful nerve damage of the disease; Acyclovir, a shingles drug in current use; Study results presented at the American Academy of Dermatology meeting in August 1994.
- Shingles-Chicken Pox revisited. Deas, Gerald W. // New York Amsterdam News;10/29/94, Vol. 85 Issue 44, p14
Gives advice on how to treat shingles. Description of shingles; Cause; Need for affected person to take anti-viral drugs within 72 hours from the appearance of the rash; Names of appropriate drugs.
- FDA approves tx for shingles. // Dermatology Times;Aug95, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p4
Reports that the United States Food and Drug Administration has approved valacyclovir HCl (Valtrex) for the treatment of herpes zoster or shingles in immunocompetent adults.
- Lidocaine patch relieves shingles-associated pain. Wickware, Potter // Dermatology Times;Sep99, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p1
Focuses on the effectiveness of lidocaine patches as an alternative to patients suffering from shingles-associated pain. Estimated number of persons in the United States who get shingles annually; Fabric's shielding effect on sensitive skin areas.
- Soothing shingles pain. M.O.R. // Cortlandt Forum;03/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p147
Discusses whether topical acyclovir has a role in the treatment of Herpes zoster. Things to keep in mind when treating acute herpes zoster.