Managing the aftermath of shingles
- Shingles: More convenient antiviral agents are on the horizon. // Geriatrics;Jan94, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p19
Presents information on the new antiviral drugs which can be used by physicians in treating herpes zoster. Problems and drawbacks; Other information.
- Shingles treatment. // Geriatrics;Sep94, Vol. 49 Issue 9, p14
States that antiviral famciclovir (Famvir) is approved for the treatment of acute herpes zoster or shingles. Recommended dosage; Recommendation for patients with impaired renal function; Adverse reactions to famciclovir.
- Soothing shingles pain. M.O.R. // Cortlandt Forum;03/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p147
Discusses whether topical acyclovir has a role in the treatment of Herpes zoster. Things to keep in mind when treating acute herpes zoster.
- Lidocaine patch relieves shingles-associated pain. Wickware, Potter // Dermatology Times;Sep99, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p1
Focuses on the effectiveness of lidocaine patches as an alternative to patients suffering from shingles-associated pain. Estimated number of persons in the United States who get shingles annually; Fabric's shielding effect on sensitive skin areas.
- FDA approves tx for shingles. // Dermatology Times;Aug95, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p4
Reports that the United States Food and Drug Administration has approved valacyclovir HCl (Valtrex) for the treatment of herpes zoster or shingles in immunocompetent adults.
- Famciclovir is effective for treating shingles. // Modern Medicine;Dec95, Vol. 63 Issue 12, p52
Presents an abstract of the report `Famciclovir for the Treatment of Acute Herpes Zoster: Effects on Acute Disease and Postherpetic Neuralgia,' by S. Tyring, R.A Barbarash et al from the `Ann Intern Med' dated July 15, 1995.
- New skin patch calms pain following shingles. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Jan2000, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p4
Reports on the development of a skin patch for alleviating pain following an outbreak of shingles. Injury of nerves in area of skin where shingles occurred; Effectiveness of the pain-killing medication lidocaine in the patch.
- Valacyclovir has been cleared for shingles. Cerrato, Paul L. // RN;Dec95, Vol. 58 Issue 12, p79
Reports that valacyclovir which is used for the treatment of herpes zoster in adults have recently been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). How the drug works; Recommended dose; When the drug is most effective.
- Shingles gets the slide. Munson, Marty; Higbee, Beth // Prevention;Feb95, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p52
Cites results of a study of a new drug for the pain of shingles, famciclovir. How the drug prevents the painful nerve damage of the disease; Acyclovir, a shingles drug in current use; Study results presented at the American Academy of Dermatology meeting in August 1994.
- Repetitive outbreaks of herpes zoster. M.O.R. // Cortlandt Forum;06/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p112
Presents the case of a 35-year old woman who has had three outbreaks of herpes zoster in ten months localized to a different branch of the left ophthalmic nerve. Chemotherapy; Complication of having a husband awaiting renal transplantation because of the rejection of a transplanted kidney;...