Managing the aftermath of shingles
- Treatment for herpes zoster. // Modern Medicine;Sep95, Vol. 63 Issue 9, p27
Reports that Valacyclovir HCL has been approved for the treatment of herpes zoster in immunocompetent adult. Recommended dosage.
- Shingles: More convenient antiviral agents are on the horizon. // Geriatrics;Jan94, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p19
Presents information on the new antiviral drugs which can be used by physicians in treating herpes zoster. Problems and drawbacks; Other information.
- Shingles treatment. // Geriatrics;Sep94, Vol. 49 Issue 9, p14
States that antiviral famciclovir (Famvir) is approved for the treatment of acute herpes zoster or shingles. Recommended dosage; Recommendation for patients with impaired renal function; Adverse reactions to famciclovir.
- Shingles-Chicken Pox revisited. Deas, Gerald W. // New York Amsterdam News;10/29/94, Vol. 85 Issue 44, p14
Gives advice on how to treat shingles. Description of shingles; Cause; Need for affected person to take anti-viral drugs within 72 hours from the appearance of the rash; Names of appropriate drugs.
- Soothing shingles pain. M.O.R. // Cortlandt Forum;03/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p147
Discusses whether topical acyclovir has a role in the treatment of Herpes zoster. Things to keep in mind when treating acute herpes zoster.
- Repetitive outbreaks of herpes zoster. M.O.R. // Cortlandt Forum;06/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p112
Presents the case of a 35-year old woman who has had three outbreaks of herpes zoster in ten months localized to a different branch of the left ophthalmic nerve. Chemotherapy; Complication of having a husband awaiting renal transplantation because of the rejection of a transplanted kidney;...
- Lidocaine patch relieves shingles-associated pain. Wickware, Potter // Dermatology Times;Sep99, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p1
Focuses on the effectiveness of lidocaine patches as an alternative to patients suffering from shingles-associated pain. Estimated number of persons in the United States who get shingles annually; Fabric's shielding effect on sensitive skin areas.
- FDA approves tx for shingles. // Dermatology Times;Aug95, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p4
Reports that the United States Food and Drug Administration has approved valacyclovir HCl (Valtrex) for the treatment of herpes zoster or shingles in immunocompetent adults.
- Famciclovir is effective for treating shingles. // Modern Medicine;Dec95, Vol. 63 Issue 12, p52
Presents an abstract of the report `Famciclovir for the Treatment of Acute Herpes Zoster: Effects on Acute Disease and Postherpetic Neuralgia,' by S. Tyring, R.A Barbarash et al from the `Ann Intern Med' dated July 15, 1995.
- Shingles gets the slide. Munson, Marty; Higbee, Beth // Prevention;Feb95, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p52
Cites results of a study of a new drug for the pain of shingles, famciclovir. How the drug prevents the painful nerve damage of the disease; Acyclovir, a shingles drug in current use; Study results presented at the American Academy of Dermatology meeting in August 1994.