Managing the aftermath of shingles
- Treatment for herpes zoster. // Modern Medicine;Sep95, Vol. 63 Issue 9, p27
Reports that Valacyclovir HCL has been approved for the treatment of herpes zoster in immunocompetent adult. Recommended dosage.
- Valacyclovir has been cleared for shingles. Cerrato, Paul L. // RN;Dec95, Vol. 58 Issue 12, p79
Reports that valacyclovir which is used for the treatment of herpes zoster in adults have recently been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). How the drug works; Recommended dose; When the drug is most effective.
- Shingles: More convenient antiviral agents are on the horizon. // Geriatrics;Jan94, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p19
Presents information on the new antiviral drugs which can be used by physicians in treating herpes zoster. Problems and drawbacks; Other information.
- Shingles treatment. // Geriatrics;Sep94, Vol. 49 Issue 9, p14
States that antiviral famciclovir (Famvir) is approved for the treatment of acute herpes zoster or shingles. Recommended dosage; Recommendation for patients with impaired renal function; Adverse reactions to famciclovir.
- Shingles-Chicken Pox revisited. Deas, Gerald W. // New York Amsterdam News;10/29/94, Vol. 85 Issue 44, p14
Gives advice on how to treat shingles. Description of shingles; Cause; Need for affected person to take anti-viral drugs within 72 hours from the appearance of the rash; Names of appropriate drugs.
- Soothing shingles pain. M.O.R. // Cortlandt Forum;03/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p147
Discusses whether topical acyclovir has a role in the treatment of Herpes zoster. Things to keep in mind when treating acute herpes zoster.
- Repetitive outbreaks of herpes zoster. M.O.R. // Cortlandt Forum;06/25/97, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p112
Presents the case of a 35-year old woman who has had three outbreaks of herpes zoster in ten months localized to a different branch of the left ophthalmic nerve. Chemotherapy; Complication of having a husband awaiting renal transplantation because of the rejection of a transplanted kidney;...
- NEW TREATMENT FOR SHINGLES NOW AVAILABLE. Hurley, Mary Lou // RN;Oct94, Vol. 57 Issue 10, p95
Reports that Famciclovir (Famvir) has been approved to treat acute herpes zoster or shingles. Dosage; Adverse reactions.
- Lidocaine patch relieves shingles-associated pain. Wickware, Potter // Dermatology Times;Sep99, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p1
Focuses on the effectiveness of lidocaine patches as an alternative to patients suffering from shingles-associated pain. Estimated number of persons in the United States who get shingles annually; Fabric's shielding effect on sensitive skin areas.