- Can architects help cities recover civic greatness? Russel, James // Architectural Record;Aug1996, Vol. 184 Issue 8, p32
Focuses on the role of architects in urban redevelopment in the United States. Project funding; Redevelopment economy; Bond issues; Market; Vision. INSETS: Leveraging ferry funding in San Francisco.;Rethinking Philadelphia's Independence Mall.;Building on infrastructure dollars in Los...
- Call for new era of community architects. Wilding, Mark // Building Design;10/5/2012, Issue 2031, p4
The article reports that the National Self Build Association is planning to have a new community of architects which will provide new architectural ideas. INSET: LABOUR PLANS HOMES.
- Reinventing public space. Krieger, Alex // Architectural Record;Jun1995, Vol. 183 Issue 6, p76
Argues that it is not the amount of common space that determines sociability. Critique of contemporary urbanism; Need for edified and everyday community space; Difference between community and public space, community and privacy; Propinquity as no longer a precondition to community; Contrasting...
- Architects can influence policy and contribute to the public good. Pressman, Andy // Architectural Record;May2000, Vol. 188 Issue 5, p75
Focuses on the drive toward civic activism by architects. Forging of alliances in the realm of politics, policy and education; Architects' skills making them especially effective in public service; Enhancement of the public's perception of architecture; Case studies.
- Should architects design cities? // Architectural Record;May1994, Vol. 182 Issue 5, p28
Discusses architects' roles in redesigning communities. New Urbanism; Debate regarding traditional neighborhood developments (TND); Public opinion; Comparison of roles with city planners.
- Young, cutting-edge architects gather at Archilab in France. Amelar, Sarah // Architectural Record;Jul2001, Vol. 189 Issue 7, p33
Highlights the Archilab conference in Orleans, France. Official theme of the meeting; Opportunities of architects to gather, exhibit, and share days in undistracted setting; Emergence of Archilab in plurality of voices and visions.
- Correspondent's File. Adams, Nicholas // Architectural Record;Jul2001, Vol. 189 Issue 7, p51
Focuses on the architectural community in Sweden. Use of standardized building techniques; Prevalence of Swedish aesthetics; Weakness of Swedish architects.
- Conductor or Soloist? Davidson, Russell A. // Architect;Jul2016, Vol. 105 Issue 7, p64
The article presents the author's perspective on the role of an architect and his firm in the community and for each client's specific project.
- Profession is joke to public, says Penrose. // Building Design;7/22/2011, Issue 1975, p4
The article focuses on the observation of Architecture Minister John Penrose concerning the treatment of people to architects, which he compared the profession to stereotyped groups such as slippery estate agents, over-paid footballers, and disingenuous politicians.