Gov. Schweiker Proposes $300M Bond Issue for Philadelphia Schools
- Philadelphia Takeover: School System Up for Grabs. // District Administration;Mar2002, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p18
Reports the formation of governor Mark Schweiker and mayor John Street of strategy for state takeover of public school systems in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Appointment of five-member School Reform Commission; Selection of educators, business executives and non-profit professionals; List of the...
- The Battle to Control Philadelphia's Schools. Angelo, Jean Marie // District Administration;Jan2002, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p11
Reports on the battle to control Philadelphia's public schools between Pennsylvania Governor Mark Schweiker and Mayor John Street. Governor's sweeping reform of the district; Edison Schools' recommendations for the city's public schools.
- Despite Deficit, Schweiker Seeking More Aid for Philadelphia Schools. Gewertz, Catherine // Education Week;2/20/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 23, p18
Focuses on the February 5, 2002 state budget address of Pennsylvania Governor Mark S. Schweiker. Indication that there will be a small increase in the finance proposal for public education in fiscal 2003; Mention of the Education Empowerment Initiative to help academically struggling school...
- Finances at Issue in Delay Of Phila. Schools Takeover. Gewertz, Catherine // Education Week;12/12/2001, Vol. 21 Issue 15, p11
Reports on the joint decision of Republican Pennsylvania governor Mark S. Schweiker, and Democratic Mayor of Philadelphia John F. Street, to postpone the state takeover of the city's schools. Differences in opinions between Schweiker and Street over the takeover issue; Areas of conflict between...
- Connections, Savvy Give Some Community Groups a Head Start on School Contracts. Reid, Karla Scoon // Education Week;2/6/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 21, p17
Reports the proposal of Governor Mark S. Schweiker to redesign public schools with the help of local nonprofit organizations in Philadelphia. Outlook for private management of the schools; Formation of the School Reform Commission; Six groups that are expected to become community partners;...
- Unprecedented Change Eyed for Phila. Schools. Gewertz, Catherine // Education Week;11/7/2001, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p3
Reports that Pennsylvania Governor Mark S. Schweiker proposed that the Philadelphia schools be taken over by a private management. Possibility of a state takeover; The public's opinion of Schweiker; Strain in city-state relations; Reference to a study conducted by Edison Schools Incorporated on...
- Community Groups Looking to Run Phila. Schools. Reid, Karla Scoon // Education Week;2/6/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 21, p1
Focuses on the intention of community organizations to finance and manage public schools in Philadelphia. Difficulty of finding progress in the city; Enumeration of community groups such as Overbrook Educational Development Corp. as potential partners; Contention of public school advocates on...
- Gov. Schweiker Signs Joint And Several Liability Reform Measure In Pennsylvania. // Insurance Advocate;06/24/2002, Vol. 113 Issue 24, p10
Reports on the signing of the Fair share Act by Governor Mark Schweiker regarding the allocation of liability in Pennsylvania on June 19, 2002.
- Bond-Free State Budget Saves $75M for Philadelphia Schools. Braun, Martin Z. // Bond Buyer;7/2/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31420, p28
Reports the approval of the 2003 budget by governor Mark Schweiker in Pennsylvania. Consideration of additional bond authorizations and capital projects; Increase of the cigarette tax; Finance for stadiums.