Pennsylvania Smokers Sue State Attorney General, MSA
- English judge rules that smokers' claims are `too late'. Dyer, Clare // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);02/20/99, Vol. 318 Issue 7182, p481
Focuses on the court's decision on the lawsuit filed by tobacco smokers against Imperial Tobacco and Gallaher in England. Basis of the court's decision; Estimated cost of the case; Health conditions of the plaintiffs.
- LEE PUBLICATIONS, INC. V. DICKINSON SCHOOL OF LAW: THE COMMONWEALTH COURT DRAWS THE CURTAINS ON THE SUNSHINE ACT'S APPLICABILITY TO LOOSELY DEFINED "COMMITTEES.". Budman II, Jan L. // Widener Law Journal;2006, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p371
Examines the case Lee Publications Inc. v. Dickinson School of Law which determine whether the meetings of the Board of Governors of a private Law School. Classification of the Board of Governors as an agency; Provisions of the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act; Evaluation of court decision on the case.
- The Bankruptcy Ploy. // Multinational Monitor;Apr2003, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p4
Reports on the warning of cigarette firm Philip Morris that it might go bankrupt if the Illinois court forces the firm to pay the bond to appeal the Illinois case. Allegation of Illinois smokers to Philip; Estimated amount of the appeal bond; Accusation of tobacco advocates to the company.
- Industry foes fume over the tobacco deal. Shapiro, Joseph P. // U.S. News & World Report;11/30/98, Vol. 125 Issue 21, p30
Comments on a recent settlement between states and cigarette makers in the United States. View that the deal is not likely to deter teens from smoking; Study showing a sharp rise in smoking among college students; How the deal settles state lawsuits to recover health costs of treating smokers;...
- Payback. Frankel, Bruce; Stambler, Lyndon; Arias, Ron // People;04/12/99, Vol. 51 Issue 13, p97
Profiles Patricia Henley who successfully sued Philip Morris, a tobacco company, and was awarded $51.5 million. Henley's diagnosis of lung cancer; Other court decisions in which tobacco companies have had to pay settlements to cigarette smokers or their families; Reasons why Henley began...
- Casebook. Ross, Mike // Chartered Accountants Journal;Aug98, Vol. 77 Issue 7, p78
Provides information on a number of court cases around New Zealand relating to several issues. Reference to the matrimonial property lawsuit of Wood versus Wood filed in the High Court, New Plymouth; Details on the lawsuit surrounding tax deductions; Information on a lawsuit regarding...
- Retaliatory Lawsuits and Texas's Judicial Proceedings Privilege. Mangrum, Boyd // Review of Litigation;Summer2003, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p541
Discusses retaliatory lawsuits and Texas' judicial proceedings privilege. Definition of the term 'retaliatory lawsuit'; Nature and extent of judicial proceedings privilege; Parties protected by the privilege.
- The duty to take care. Edwards, K. Buckley // Accountancy;Sep72, Vol. 83 Issue 949, p87
Presents information about various lawsuits in the year 1972 in Great Britain. Discussion on various lawsuits between the companies and its stock holders; Details of the case involving I.G. Arenson, a shareholder in a company; Information about the proceedings in the case.
- circuit briefs. // Corporate Legal Times;Oct2003, Vol. 13 Issue 143, p50
Reports on two cases in the 5th Circuit in the U.S. as of October 2003. Chancery charges against State Supreme Court Justice Oliver Diaz Jr.; Settlement of class action against Firestone.