Of Baffles & Rodents
- This Feeder Is Too Slick for Squirrels. Dassatti, Vincent; Evans-Dean, Carolyn // Mother Earth News;Oct/Nov2011, Issue 248, p99
The article offers some tips from a reader on how to keep squirrels away from a bird feeder.
- Squirrel patrol. Curry, Jennifer // Flower & Garden;Sep/Oct98, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p12
Provides information on how to protect bird feeders from squirrels. Placement of the feeder; Information on several squirrel deterrent devices; How to evict a squirrel.
- From the Publisher. Graham, Dale K. // Antiques & Collecting Magazine;Jun2004, Vol. 109 Issue 4, p66
Recounts an experience wherein squirrels were attracted to a bird feeder and began searching food from it.
- OVER the FENCE. Bron, Gail; Bron, Gary; Jorundson, Devon; Zizovski, Lisa; Read, Dale; Murdoch, Lu-Ann; Houghton, Darcy; Sikora, Nancy; Horner, T. J.; Muers, Jon // Harrowsmith Country Life (11908416);Feb2009, Vol. 33 Issue 204, p10
This section offers tips, tidbits and trivia from readers. Gail and Gary Bron of Balderson, Ontario share their experience of rescuing a woodpecker whose wing had become snagged in the mesh onion bag they use to feed suet to the birds. Devon Jorundson of Swan River, Manitoba describes a way to...
- Keeping Those Squirrels Away. Crist, Bob // Conservationist;Jul/Aug89, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p51
Presents the author's description of his bird feeder which is fitted with a metal smoke pipe and a device to keep the squirrels away.
- Tired of Squirrels Raiding Your Bird Feeders? Here Are Ten Ways to Outwit Them. Harrison, George H. // National Wildlife (World Edition);Dec2000/Jan2001, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p16
Presents tips on stopping gray squirrels from raiding bird feeders in the United States. Details on the case concerning gray squirrel attack; Physical characteristics; Problems brought by squirrels to homeowners.
- Squirrel-Proof Bird Feeder. Truini, Joseph // Popular Mechanics;Aug2011, Vol. 188 Issue 8, p110
The article offers step-by-step instructions for squirrel proof bird feeder.
- Flight Snacks. Jones, Douglas // New York State Conservationist;Feb2016, Vol. 70 Issue 4, p30
A letter to the editor is presented on flying squirrels feeding at a birdfeeder.
- Pest Mystery. Jordan, Kyle // Pest Control;Oct2004, Vol. 72 Issue 10, p70
Focuses on the problems in controlling flying squirrels in the U.S. Characteristics of the pest; availability of a variety of commercially available remedies for birdfeeder exclusion; Access of squirrels to the tree branches.