News In Brief: Productivity Up, Costs Down in 4Q
- Final Q4 Non-Farm Productivity Up 1.8%; Labor Costs Drop 0.1%. // Bond Buyer;3/7/2014, Vol. 123 Issue F310, p1
The article reports that non-farm productivity in the U.S. was revised to a 1.8 percent gain in fourth quarter of 2013 from the 3.2 percent jump and also mentions that unit labor costs are down to 0.1 percent in 2013.
- Stateside economic recovery stalls in second quarter. Hoxter, Curtis J. // Caribbean Business;8/22/2002, Vol. 30 Issue 34, p12
Discusses the condition of productivity in the U.S. for the second quarter 2002. Increase in labor costs; Decline in consumer spending; Decline in the non-manufacturing index; Slow down in the retail sales and service industry activity.
- Productivity, Costs Both Up in 4Q. Floyd, Daniel F. // Bond Buyer;02/08/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31073, p2
Reports on the growth of non-farm productivity in the United States in the fourth quarter of 2000. Increase in unit non-farm labor costs; Decline in hours worked.
- Learning to Compete. Weidenbaum, Murray L. // Business Horizons;Sep/Oct86, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p2
Editorial. Examines several emerging factors influencing the business operations in the United States. Reduction of production and labor costs; Importance of production efficiency on business operations; Adoption of realistic pricing strategies.
- Reduce downtime with vision sensors. Sippel, Mark // Motion System Design;May2011, Vol. 53 Issue 5, p9
The article offers information on using vision-based sensors in the packaging process, as it can reduce planned downtime, shorten production and product changeover time. It states that it also reduces labor costs for inspection, as a vision sensing setup can be installed for less than 2,500...
- Unit Labour Costs in Irish Manufacturing. Casey, Eddie // Quarterly Economic Commentary;Summer2012, p39
The article reports on the role of unit labour costs (ULC) in assessing the competitiveness of Ireland's manufacturing sector. ULC is defined as the ratio of compensation per employee to the unit of value added by each employee. The decline in the Irish manufacturing ULC is related to labour...
- Comparing factory productivity and costs. // Monthly Labor Review;Nov2004, Vol. 127 Issue 11, p2
This article compares the manufacturing productivity and costs in the U.S. with those in other economies in 2003. Korea registered the largest gain in manufacturing productivity in 2003. The increase in U.S. manufacturing output per hour in 2003 was the second highest. Manufacturing productivity...
- Three Myths About Cleaning Management Software. Keeler, Kevin // Cleaning & Maintenance Management;Mar2015, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p14
The article discusses several ways to avoid the myths about cleaning management software to improve operations. Topics covered include the use of software to calculate staffing and costs, how cleaning management software can show inefficient procedures, and the ways to get past the expected...
- Thursday's Economic Indicators. // Bondbuyer.com;6/4/2015, p11
Statistics are given of the economic indicators in the U.S. as of June 4, 2015 including initial jobless claims, productivity and unit labor costs.