CALIFORNIA: Bridge Plan
- Glass Bridge for the Grand Canyon. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;1/2/2006, Vol. 62 Issue 11, p3
The article reports on the redevelopment of the Skywalk glass bridge for the Grand Canyon in Arizona in 2006.
- The longest bridges in the world. // World Almanac for Kids;1996, p36
Features the longest bridges in the world. Definition of the span of a bridge and how it is measured; Humber Bridge in England; Verrazano-Narrows in New York; The Golden Gate Bridge in California; Information about the oldest covered bridge in the world, in New Hampshire.
- With friends like these... Chase, Steven // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;4/12/93, Vol. 20 Issue 17, p19
States that the group Friends of the Island took SCI Engineers & Constructors Inc. to court over its latest contract for the construction of an $840-million, nine-mile-long toll bridge between Prince Edward Island and the southeastern tip of New Brunswick. Second time a group of friends took...
- International and pro bono bridges for heavy traffic. // Architectural Record;Mar1992, Vol. 180 Issue 3, p31
Offers a look at two bridge projects designed to handle heavy traffic. One is the Rainbow Bridge expansion by Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer and URS Consultants; The second is the Free Bridge, by Dunham-Jones and LeBlanc Architects.
- Pedestrian tensegrity. // Architectural Record;Jun1992, Vol. 180 Issue 6, p45
Describes the clear-span pedestrian bridge designed by Wolf+ to connect a park and parking structure in California. The bridge is based on Buckminster Fuller's `tensegrity' principles.
- Calm waters for Moscoso bridge. Ruiz-Calderon, Maricelle // Caribbean Business;4/9/1998, Vol. 26 Issue 14, p30
Presents information as it relates to the success of the Teodoro Moscoso Bridge, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Reference to the privatization of the bridge; Features of the bridge; Average number of vehicles which use the bridge daily; Details on the efficiency of the bridge; Reference to the increase...
- Throwing a wobbly celebration. // Engineer (00137758);2/22/2002, Vol. 291 Issue 7590, p4
Reports on the reopening of the Millennium Bridge across the Thames River in London, England. Changes made on the bridge; Amount of the reconstruction.
- Letter from: mostar. Hockenos, Paul // New Statesman & Society;12/2/94, Vol. 7 Issue 331, p11
Reports on international efforts to rebuild bridges in the city of Mostar, Bosnia & Hercegovina. Stari Most bridge as a symbol of the peaceful coexistence between Croats, Muslims and Serbs in the city of Mostar; Division of the city into multi-ethnic community; Explanation of the Mostar project.
- Planning news. // Planning;Oct96, Vol. 62 Issue 10, p21
Presents a photograph of a bridge at the southern entrance of downtown Queen Creek, Arizona.
- A bridge too far? Harmes, J. // Texas Monthly;May90, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p124
Discusses the recent conflict over the construction of the Colombia-Laredo Bridge, scheduled for completion near the end of 1991. Why the international bridge between Mexico and the US threatened economic ruin to the city of Laredo, Texas; How Laredo worked out a way to benefit from the bridge.