Using Pave' Techniques When Designing with African Violets
- Suspended, Kinetic, or Mobile Designs? What's the Difference? Schirtzer, Claire J. // African Violet Magazine;Jan/Feb2009, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p22
This article discusses the differences between suspended, kinetic and mobile arrangements of African violets. Designs where either actual movement or implied movement is dominant are classified as kinetic arrangements. The hanging or suspended plant or flower design is considered a familiar and...
- Designing in a Musical Mood. Vericker, Barbara // African Violet Magazine;Nov/Dec2009, Vol. 62 Issue 6, p50
The article offers tips on designing African violet flower arrangements for entry to the 2009 African Violet Society of America show whose theme is "Violets in a Musical Mood." Among the items which cannot be used in any floral design are American flags, artificial plant materials, live...
- Rose Flower Arranging for your Home. Hahn, Danielle // American Rose;Nov/Dec2012, Vol. 41 Issue 12, p86
The article offers techniques on rose flower arranging for homes. It notes that considering the room in which the finished bouquet will be displayed will help determine which vase or container should be used and which roses should be picked. It also advises to keep the flowers out of direct...
- Create a May Basket. Bull Reed, Rebecca // Southern Living;May2007, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p98
The article provides tips on how to arrange flowers in a basket. A basket large enough to hold several jars or plastic containers should be selected. Foliage is inserted to build a base. Flowers, such as roses, are cut into the older, woody stem part to prevent them from wilting. They are then...
- What Determines Halo or Bouquet Blossom Patterns? Smith, Jeff // African Violet Magazine;Mar/Apr2006, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p35
Presents information on halo or bouquet patterns for African violets. Factors of the presentation pattern which include the number of flowers and the way the flowers open; Difference between the number of flowers of halo and bouquet patterns; Dominance of halo pattern compared to bouquet...
- INTERPRETIVE DESIGNS. Green, Bob // African Violet Magazine;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 58 Issue 6, p46
Focuses on creating interpretive designs for an African violet show. Goals in making an interpretive design; Description of the interpretative designs found in African violet shows; Factors to determine the personality or character of an interpretive design in flower arrangement.
- No One Wants a Scrawny Neck!! Gasper, Virginia W. // African Violet Magazine;Nov/Dec2005, Vol. 58 Issue 6, p47
Gives advice on creating an interpretive design of African violets. Factors to consider in creating an interpretive design; Recommended method in repotting the plant; Suggested man-made materials that may be used in interpretive design in lieu of plant materials.
- RUSTIC UPDATED. Woodham, Tom // Veranda;Jan/Feb2007, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p122
Several photographs of floral designs are presented.
- FLOWERS. Newsom, Lisa // Veranda;Jul/Aug2009, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p12
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by designer Pamela Pierce on designing flower bouquets, another by Carolyne Roehm on decorating porcelains with hydrangeas, and one by Vicente Wolf on heightening the visual appeal of furnishings with simple florals.