Therapeutic potential of stem cells in orthopedics
- Stem Cells and Orthodontics. Kaukua, Nina; Mao, Jeremy J. // Orthodontic Products;Apr2011, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p26
The article focuses on the therapeutic use of stem cells in orthodontics. It notes that stem cells have potential application in dental, oral, and craniofacial regeneration. It points out that stem cells are capable of differentiation into specialized cell lineages. Meanwhile, it mentions about...
- The Use of Growth Factors and Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Orthopaedics. Kanitkar, Medha; Tailor, Hiteshkumar D.; Khan, Wasim S. // Open Orthopaedics Journal;2011 Special Issue 002, Vol. 5 Issue S2, p271
Stem cell therapy is an exciting and upcoming branch of tissue engineering with application in the field of orthopaedics. The most commonly used type of stem cells, mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), can be easily isolated from bone marrow or synovium and cultured in vitro. Newer techniques using...
- Stern cell-rich collagen paste can successfully repair osteochondral defects. Miller, Stuart D. // Orthopedics Today;Nov2011, Vol. 31 Issue 11, p6
The article proposes the use of a stem cell-rich paste composed of bone marrow aspirate in repairing osteochondral defects.
- In This Issue. // Molecular Therapy;Feb2009, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p212
The article discusses various reports published within the issue including one about cancer stem cells and another about orthopedic disorders as a leading cause of morbidity and impose a huge socioeconomic burden.
- In Vitro Studies of Horse Umbilical Cord Matrix-Derived Cells: From Characterization to Labeling for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Lange-Consiglio, Anna; Corradetti, Bruna; Rutigliano, Lucia; Cremonesi, Fausto; Bizzaro, Davide // Open Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine Journal;2011, Vol. 4, p120
Despite the increasing use of cell-based therapies for equine orthopedic problems, many questions remain to be answered, such as what is: the optimal cell source for particular injuries, the best timing and route of treatment and the long-term safety and efficacy of the procedure? Previously,...
- Regulatory authorities and orthopaedic clinical trials on expanded mesenchymal stem cells. Gómez-Barrena, Enrique; Solá, Cristina; Bunu, Carmen // International Orthopaedics;Sep2014, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p1803
Skeletal injuries requiring bone augmentation techniques are increasing in the context of avoiding or treating difficult cases with bone defects, bone healing problems, and bone regeneration limitations. Musculoskeletal severe trauma, osteoporosis-related fractures, and conditions where bone...
- Welcome to Stem Cell Research & Therapy. Donnelly, Ann; Johar, Surayya; O'Brien, Timothy; Tuan, Rocky S. // Stem Cell Research & Therapy;2010, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various topics within the inaugural issue of the journal including stem cell research, stem cell therapy and legislation affecting stem cell research and therapy, particularly embryonic stem cells.
- Stem cell therapy treatment shows promise for wounds. O'Connor, John // McKnight's Long-Term Care News;Feb2011, Vol. 32 Issue 2, p8
The article discusses the potential benefit of stem cell therapy medication to treat wounds.
- New Stem Cell Treatment Could Be Ailing Dogs' Best Friend. Gallant, Julie // San Diego Business Journal;4/16/2012, Vol. 33 Issue 16, p10
The article reports that animal biotech companies in the U.S. are looking for new opportunities in the market of stem cell therapy for different diseases in dogs. One such firm is Animal Cell Therapies Inc. which is developing a stem cell treatment for orthopedic conditions in dogs. Adam Irving,...