Other Adaptive Technologies Used By People with Disabilities
- Assistive Technology Makes the Difference. // Workforce (10928332);Aug2002, Vol. 81 Issue 8, p40
Focuses on a study conducted by the National Center for Disability Services which found that the availability and use of assistive technology are critical factors in the employment success of individuals with disabilities. Tools commonly used by those interviewed in the study.
- Office technology aids disabled. Batdorff, Lee // Crain's Cleveland Business;02/10/97, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p29
Focuses on how information technology is helping the handicapped to gain employment in Ohio. Computer software that reads computer displays; Braille display technology.
- Where Have All The Workers Gone? Herman, Roger // American Drycleaner (Crain Communications Inc. (MI));Jun2001, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p110
Presents several strategies for companies to cope with labor shortage in the United States. Importance of focus on technology; Employment of older, partime and handicapped workers; Recruitment of workers down to 10th grade level.
- Your personal challenges. Gaspar, Suzanne // Network World;07/17/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 29, p85
Discusses the increase in the number of information technology (IT) companies in the United States that are employing individuals with disabilities. Number of handicapped persons employed in 1998 as computer equipment operators, computer scientists and programmers; Details from a report...
- IT offers opportunities for workers with disabilities. York, Thomas // InfoWorld;09/21/98, Vol. 20 Issue 38, p114
Discusses employment opportunities for handicapped workers in the United States in the information technology field. Comparison between the percentage of disabled workers in science and engineering fields and that of the overall US population; Training for the disabled at the Denver Community...
- Compliant IT Solicitations. Finneran, Sherrian // CHIPS Magazine;Apr-Jun2012, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p50
The article offers information on the accesible technology, focusing on the Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of the U.S. It states that Section 508 supports employment of people with disabilities, improves public access to government information technology (IT), reduces the need for...
- Required Sources. // Army Lawyer;Jan2008, Issue 416, p29
The article offers information on the program and policy for acquisitions in the U.S. The Javits-Wagner-O'Day program, which is administered by the Committee for Purchase from People Who Are Blind in Severely Disabled, offers employment opportunities for the blind or other severe disabilities in...
- Assistive technology puts mind over matter. Altom, Tim // Indianapolis Business Journal;5/27/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p48A
Comments on the aspects of the American with Disability Act (ADA) in the U.S. Provisions of the ADA; Role of the ADA in firms employing disabled people; Availability of assistive technology in helping disabled people.
- Aging and Late-Onset Disability: Addressing Workplace Accommodation. Finch, John; Robinson, Mona // Journal of Rehabilitation;Apr-Jun2003, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p38
Discusses workplace accommodation issues concerning older persons with late-onset disabilities in the U.S. Background on the effects of late-onset disabilities on the performance and safety of older employees; Role of technology in helping older employees with disabilities; Recommendations for...