The Future of the Department Store
- Selfridge's reported to be object of several attempts at takeover. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;8/18/1998, Vol. 176 Issue 34, p3
Reports that London, England-based department store Selfridge's is in the middle of a takeover battle. Sales performance of Selfridge's in 1997; Companies involved in the takeover battle.
- Acquisition Fever Heats Up. Sargent, Lydia; Zmuda, Natalie // FN: Footwear News;4/4/2005, Vol. 61 Issue 14, p2
Reports on the reaction of retail sector analysts to the possible merger of several major department-store groups in the U.S. Challenges to be faced by vendors upon the merger of department stores; Reasons behind the possible merger of department stores; Possible advantages of the buyout by...
- Dept store frenzy abates. // Estates Gazette;6/14/2003 Supplement, Issue 324, p4
Reports on the slow down of merger activity involving department stores in Great Britain as of June 2003. Reason for the trend; Indicative offer for Debenhams from venture capitalist Permira.
- The urge to merge. Cockram, Andrea // Estates Gazette;6/14/2003 Supplement, Issue 324, p44
Investigates the merger trends among department store bidders. Factors that drove the urge of stores to merge; Types of acquisitions made; Reason that takeovers happen; Top European takeover deals as of June 2003. INSETS: Team player Jon Asgeir Johannesson;Selfridges owner Galen Weston.
- All Fingers Point to Wal-Mart. Forseter, Murray // Chain Store Age;Apr2005, Vol. 81 Issue 4, p12
Presents updates on the chain store industry in the U.S. as of April 2005. Information on the merger of Federated and May Department Stores; Impact of competition on the industry; Role of Wal-Mart in the industry.
- Merger Talks Worry Vendors. Clark, Evan // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;1/26/2005, Vol. 189 Issue 17, p9
Reports on the reaction of retailers to the possibility of a merger between Federated Department Stores and May Department Stores in New York City. Impact of the possible merger on May Co.; Speculation on the reasons behind the merger; Advantages and disadvantages of the deal to retailers and...
- Bloomies in Tucson? // Inside Tucson Business;8/1/2005, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p3
Reports on the announcement made by Federated Department Stores that it would rename Arizona's Robinsons-May stores to Macy's sometime in the fall of 2006 as part of its pending merger with the May Department Stores Co.
- Federated-May Merger Could Breathe New Life into Department Stores. Speer, Jordan K. // Apparel Magazine;Apr2005, Vol. 46 Issue 8, p7
The article reports that the Federated Department Stores Inc. and the May Department Stores Co. have announced a merger that will change the face of the U.S. apparel retailing landscape. With the addition of 15 new states to its portfolio, Federated will operate stores in 49 states, Guam, Puerto...
- Federated Interested in Field's. // DNR: Daily News Record;4/19/2004, Vol. 34 Issue 16, p7
Reports on the possible acquisition of Marshall Field's department store group by retailer Federated Department Stores in 2004. Purpose of hiring Goldman Sachs by Target Corp.; Other possible purchasers; Projected sales of Field's.