Racial Mascot Bill Off and Running
- Page 5 Chatter. // Windspeaker;Sep2009, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p5
The article explores the rants of several individuals in British Columbia including the demise of the Reconciliation legislation, reaching out to Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug First Nation, and the passing of the Olympic torch through the territory of Six Nations members.
- Native American mascots challenged in Washington. Blankinship, Donna Gordon // Native American Times;10/5/2012, Vol. 18 Issue 39, p4
The article discusses the campaign of the Washington Board of Education to encourage the schools in the state to change their American Indian mascots due to their negative impact on the student population.
- People are not marketable merchandise. RUCKMAN, S. E. // Native American Times;12/24/2010, Vol. 16 Issue 52, p5
The author talks about the commercialization of Native American mascots and the University of North Dakota decision to ban the Fighting Sioux logo from its marketed merchandise effective July 1, 2011.
- Stilwell's Indian mascot causes stir. VOICE, CHRISTINA GOOD // Native American Times;1/29/2010, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p4
The article focuses on the controversial mascot of Stilwell High School in Oklahoma that critics dubbed as an exaggerated portrayal of an American Indian.
- Oregon mascot bill heads to governor for signature. GARLAND, CHAD // Confederated Umatilla Journal;Mar2014, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p38
The article focuses on issues concerning Oregon's mascot bill which allows several of the state's elementary, middle, and high schools to continue using Native American mascots.
- A Matter Of Respect. Carvell, Adam // 21st Century;Sep1998, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p16
The author offers insights on the use of Native Americans and other members of other races as mascots in schools in the U.S. He believes that when a school uses an entire racial group as its symbol or mascot, it maintains a stereotype. He says that racism and bigotry are becoming increasingly...
- High Schools Cancel Games, Citing 'Redskins' Mascot. TOPOREK, BRYAN // Education Week;3/18/2015, Vol. 34 Issue 24, p4
The article reports that Akron High School and Lake Shore High School in Buffalo, New York have cancelled lacrosse games against nearby Lancaster High School for its continued use of the "Redskins" nickname and Native American mascot.
- From Our Readers. Stokstad, Marilyn; Davidson, Sondra; Lager, Janice; Johnson, Charles; Zukof, Helene L. // Native Peoples Magazine;Fall99, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p8
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including "A Storm's Bright Aftermath" in the summer issue and "Chief Offenders" in the summer issue.
- Grave Injustice. Vincent, Steven // Reason;Jul2004, Vol. 36 Issue 3, p38
Discusses the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation (NAGPRA) Act in the U.S. Coverage of NAGPRA; Information on other efforts to preserve Native American culture; Public attitudes toward Native American culture.
- Opponents urge Wis. gov to veto mascots bill. RICHMOND, TODD // Confederated Umatilla Journal;Dec2013, Vol. 17 Issue 12, p33
The article reports that Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker is being urged by his opponents to veto a Republican bill which will make it difficult to remove schools of American Indian mascots.