Problems in Teaching of English Language at the Primary Level in District Kohat, NWFP, Pakistan
- Challenges for ELT from the expansion in teaching children. Cameron, Lynne // ELT Journal: English Language Teachers Journal;Apr2003, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p105
This paper argues that the continuing expansion of teaching English to young learners (TEYL) brings challenges to the wider ELT field. It discusses why starting younger may not bring automatic improvement to language standards unless teacher education and secondary language teaching both rise to...
- Promoting Learning for English Language Learners with Portfolios Four Case Studies. Newman, Carole; Smolen, Lynn // Ohio Reading Teacher;Fall2006, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p53
The article presents a study that investigated four case studies of middle school English language learners (ELL) students who used portfolios to improve their learning in an attempt to determine whether ELL students who were trained to use a portfolio management system for monitoring and...
- CREATING THE ENVIRONMENT FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL 8TH GRADERS TO BE ENGAGED IN LEARNING. Mulholland, Rita // Reading Matrix: An International Online Journal;Dec2006, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p106
This article offers a snapshot view into an 8th grade English class for struggling learners. A structured, predictable interactive classroom with the teacher guiding the students through the reading, and using technology to support the writing, created the learning environment that actively...
- Using Songs to Encourage Sixth Graders to Develop English Speaking Skills. Romero, M�nica Duarte; Tinjac� Bernal, Luz Mery; Olivares, Maril� Carrero // Profile: Issues in Teachers' Professional Development;Apr2012, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p11
This article contains the procedures and findings of an investigation carried out by a team of teachers with the purpose of motivating students to speak English. We observed students' lack confidence to talk and that they had little motivation toward learning English. Thus, we used songs as a...
- Cascade training and teachers' professional development. Hayes, David // ELT Journal: English Language Teachers Journal;Apr2000, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p135
Examines the use of in-service teacher development project in preventing potential deficiencies of teacher development cascade models in Sri Lanka. Criteria for success of a cascade training program; Principles of the Primary English Language Project; Assessment of language competence of...
- Basic Vocabulary. // New Yorker;3/30/1957, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p25
Deals with the list of words and phrases given by a parent to a first-grade teacher who had a problem when a Swedish boy, unacquainted with the English language, was admitted to her class.
- Instructional strategies for K-12 Limited English Proficiency (LEP) students in the regular classroom. Canney, George F.; Kennedy, Teresa J.; Schroeder, Maurene; Miles, Susan // Reading Teacher;Feb99, Vol. 52 Issue 5, p540
Offers insights into successful elementary instruction for Limited English Proficiency (LEP) students in the regular classroom in the United States. Statistics on LEP students; Characteristics of LEP students; How to teach LEP students; Discussion on understanding the culture of LEP students.
- ENGLISH. Rogers, Aida; Seeley, Michael // Sandlapper: The Magazine of South Carolina;Winter2001-02, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p43
Focuses on the method to promote English for speakers of other languages in South Carolina. Description of Seven Oaks school; Number of students in public schools with limited English proficiency; Details on Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
- Teaching English in Turkey: Dialogues with teachers about the challenges in public primary schools. Kizildag, Ayse // International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education;Jun2009, Vol. 1 Issue 3, p188
Teaching English in Turkey has its own potential problems due to the lack of authentic language input. Turkey is a foreign language context. This hinders learners in their mastering English in a short time. Moreover, other problems caused by poor instructional planning contribute to this process...