N.Y. State Lawmakers Revisit Discarded Spending Plans
- Entitlement reform. Peterson, Peter G. // Vital Speeches of the Day;2/15/95, Vol. 61 Issue 9, p272
Presents speech given by the chairman of the Blackstone Group before the Economic Club of Detroit on September 19, 1994, dealing with the issue of the relationship between entitlements and the American budget deficit. Effects of future entitlement costs on the annual budget deficit; Promotion of...
- Facing up. Peterson, Peter G. // Atlantic (02769077);Oct93, Vol. 272 Issue 4, p77
Analyzes the causes of the increasing budget deficits. Out-of-control spending on welfare program; Continued growth in entitlement spending; Myths of entitlements; Calculations of actuarial value; Children as being poorer than the elderly; Restoring fiscal and moral responsibility to the...
- Rising entitlements tab requires drastic action. Bohanon, Cecil; Styring, Bill // Indianapolis Business Journal;11/9/2015, Vol. 36 Issue 37, p23A
The article focuses on the increasing entitlement spending which dominates the U.S. federal budget.
- NEEDED: A NEW WAR ON THE DEFICIT. Dowd, Ann Reilly; Marmon, Lucretia // Fortune;11/14/1994, Vol. 130 Issue 10, p99
Argues that the main catalyst pushing federal spending ever upward is the explosive growth in entitlements, programs that churn out benefits aimed mostly at older middle- and upper-class Americans. How the President's Bipartisan Commission on Entitlement and Tax Reform will propose ways to...
- Senate rejects entitlement reform. // Human Events;6/28/96, Vol. 52 Issue 24, p22
Reports on the US Senate's rejection of an amendment to the budget resolution to reform entitlement spending. Senator Charles Grassley's reasons for opposing the measure; Votes for and against the amendment.
- Their turn to pay? Shapiro, Walter; Carney, James // Time;12/20/1993, Vol. 142 Issue 26, p36
Says that while President Bill Clinton is tempted to cut entitlements (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, veterans' benefits, government pensions, unemployment and farm subsidies), he may shy away from the battle. His appearance at an entitlements summit in Rep. Marjorie Margolies-Mezvinsky's...
- Finance. Brydon, Lynn // Nursery World (Haymarket Business Publications Ltd);9/25/2008, Vol. 109 Issue 4138, p25
This article focuses on the extension of free entitlement for the British nursery sector. The free entitlement is accessible to all interested parties and suggests that it is important for nurseries to understand context and consultation arrangements. Local authorities are required to offer a...
- Wider spending authority. // Presidents & Prime Ministers;Sep/Oct98, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p25
Reports that the International Monetary Fund has agreed to allow the Thai government wider spending authority. Significance of the move; Approved budget deficit for 1999.
- GOP senators focus on entitlement cuts. Bolton, Alexander; Youngman, Sam // Hill;5/13/2011, Vol. 18 Issue 64, p6
The article reports on the call of U.S. Senate Republicans on President Barack Obama to agree on cuts in entitlement spending in 2011.