Three Calif. Pension Funds File Suit Against WorldCom and Underwriters
- Bank sues own captive over WorldCom claim. McLeod, Douglas // Business Insurance;9/5/2005, Vol. 39 Issue 36, p3
Reports on the bad-faith charges filed by Bank of America Corp. against its own Vermont-based captive insurer and units of Chubb Corp. for their alleged refusal to cover the bank's settlement of securities litigation with WorldCom Inc. investors. Details of the charges; Background on investor...
- Brazil's closed pension funds losing hope for exemption. Ciampi, Thomas V. // Pensions & Investments;12/10/2001, Vol. 29 Issue 25, p16
Reports the developments related to tax-immunity cases in Brasilia, Brazil. Need for a change in the provisional measures on pension funds; Lack of interest by the government in a savings culture; Application of the 20 percent income tax on nominal returns.
- Chain of evidence. Merx, Katie // Crain's Detroit Business;7/1/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 26, p1
Focuses on the lawsuits from the implosion of the MCA Financial Corp. to the directors and officers of the mortgage corporation. View of the lawyers on the issue; Terms of imprisonment on the convicted officers; Effect of the issue on the business.
- In the meantime. Lentz, Rebecca // Modern Physician;Oct2001, Vol. 5 Issue 13, p34
Deals with the lawsuit filed by medical societies in the United States against eight health insurers for publishing financial data of medical groups. Ruling of the 11the Circuit Court of Appeals; Accusations by the Florida medical society; Details on the effort of New York society officials.
- U.S., state court rulings buffet insurer. Lenckus, Dave // Business Insurance;8/5/2002, Vol. 36 Issue 31, p3
Reports on the duties of an insurer regarding general liability policy lawsuits of policyholders in the U.S. Performance of the duty to defend policyholders; Provision of indemnity; Defense from all claims arising from an accident.
- Insurers seek to void D&O cover. McLeod, Douglas // Business Insurance;10/7/2002, Vol. 36 Issue 40, p1
Reports the lawsuits filed by the three insurers against the D&O cover for Adelphia Communications Corp in the U.S. Citation of the insurer's actions; Dependency over the policy and claims at issue; Accounts of the Adelphia officials against the lawsuit.
- Must grumble. Conway, Ronald // People Management;06/17/99, Vol. 5 Issue 12, p31
Comments on the report `Courting Mistrust: The Hidden Growth of a Culture of a Litigation in Britain,' written by Frank Furedi. Decline in the number of legal actions taken in Scotland; Findings of the Law Commission in England; Premium income posted by insurance companies in Great Britain for 1995.
- A Grab for the Ball. Baker, Debra // ABA Journal;Apr99, Vol. 85 Issue 4, p42
Reports on the increasing concern that insurance firms are trying to influence the outcome of litigation, sometimes to the detriment of policyholders and lawyers' rules of professional responsibility. Some cases against insurance firms; View of insurers on allegation; Comment from William...
- Lawsuits Aren't Going Away, Experts Say. D'ALLEGRO, JOSEPH // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;3/1/99, Vol. 103 Issue 9, p32
Deals with class action lawsuits in the insurance industry. Basic steps to avoid lawsuits; Reasons for the increased number of lawsuits.