News In Brief: Ex-Miami Official Sentenced In Scandal
- Surana Settles With SEC in Miami Securities Fraud Case. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;09/26/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30983, p36
Reports that former Miami, Florida finance director Manohar Surana has settled securities fraud charges with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Case background; Allegations made against Surana.
- Hazards of the sentencing guidelines. O'Toole, Franklin // CPA Journal;Feb96, Vol. 66 Issue 2, p36
Focuses on the United States Federal sentencing guidelines which determines fines for criminal offenses. Background and focus of the guidelines; Nonmonetary punishment; Monetary punishment; Calculation of fines; Minimum action steps for the company seeking to protect itself.
- The Nation's Felons. Tischler, Eric // Corrections Today;Aug99, Vol. 61 Issue 5, p14
Reports on the felony convictions in the United States. Counts of convicted felonies in the country in 1996; Growth of state felony convictions in 1988; Average jail sentence for offenders.
- Age and Occupational Status of Defendant in Relation to Mock Juror Sentencing Recommendations. Loeffler, Rebecca L.; Lawson, Timothy J. // Current Psychology;Fall2002, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p289
This study extended the research of Smith & Hed (1975) by examining the effect of age and occupational status on sentencing recommendation by mock jurors. Participants read a description of a crime committed by a young or old and high or low status defendant, recommended a sentence, and...
- Retroactive amendments revisited. Goodwin, Catharine M. // Federal Probation;Sep94, Vol. 58 Issue 3, p58
Reports on the Sentencing Commission's revision of it retroactive amendment procedure, Policy Statement 1B1.10. Elimination of guideline applications and fact determinations; Other amendments passed by the Commission.
- Reports received. // Federal Probation;Sep94, Vol. 58 Issue 3, p72
Reviews the report `The Consequences of Mandatory Minimum Prison Terms: A Summary of Recent Findings,' issued by the Federal Judicial Center in Washington, D.C.
- Organizational probation under the federal sentencing guidelines[a]. Green, Gary S. // Federal Probation;Dec98, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p25
Discusses the legal background for organization probation in the United States. Analysis of United States Sentencing Commission data on organizations sentenced under Chapter 8; Types of organizations; Offense types; Characteristics of convicted organizations.
- Changes in approaches to sentencing. Freiberg, Arie // Legaldate;Sep94, Vol. 6 Issue 4, p1
Discusses major issues concerning sentencing policy reform agenda. Discretion and disparity; Alternatives to imprisonment; Truth in sentencing; Maximum penalties; Increased maximum penalties; Changing aims; Indefinite sentences; Cumulative or concurrent sentences; Emphasis on the victim; Plea...
- Human Rights, Due Process and Sentencing. Henham, Ralph // British Journal of Criminology;Autumn98, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p592
Examines arguments made regarding the adoption of a rights-based approach used to analyze the sentencing process and traditional crime control, with reference to the development of process models. Attempts to advance the theoretical debate by suggesting how a theory of structuration could be...