FOR 1,100-PLUS FOODS: ARS launches online nutrient directory
- Monitoring America's Nutritional Bottom Line. Bliss, Rosalie Marion // Agricultural Research;Mar2012, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p1
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses various reports published within the issue including topics like the food analysis methods developed by the U.S. Agricultural Research Service (ARS), reliance of policymakers on the national nutrient database, and a survey...
- ARS Nutrition Resources on the Internet. // Food & Nutrition Research Briefs;Oct2011, p9
A list of nutrition resources of the U.S. Agricultural Research Service (ARS) on the Internet is presented which includes the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Food Composition Resource List for Professionals, and What We Eat in America.
- Get a Fix on Flavonoids. Haytowitz, David B. // Agricultural Research;Jul2007, Vol. 55 Issue 6, p23
The article provides information on the database developed by the U.S. Agricultural Research Service containing details on 26 selected flavonoid compounds in 385 foods. Research has shown an association between consumption of foods rich in flavonoids and a reduced risk of cancer and heart...
- A need for More and Better Nutrients From Plants. Kochian, Leon V. // Agricultural Research;Aug99, Vol. 47 Issue 8, p2
Argues that ways must be found to increase the bioavailability of mineral nutrients in edible seeds, fruits and other plant-based foods. Need to exploit organic compounds called phytonutrients from plants; Research efforts of the United States Agriculture Department's Agricultural Research...
- Stick to it! // Snack Food & Wholesale Bakery;May2006, Vol. 95 Issue 5, p50
The article cites a study conducted by the Agricultural Research Service in the U.S. regarding the importance of choosing a diet that restricts calories but also is best suited to one's food preferences, lifestyle and health status.
- ARS National Program for Human. // Agricultural Research;Mar2012, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p23
The article discusses the national human nutrition monitoring program of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agricultural Research Service (ARS). The program is focused on analyzing the food consumption and dietary patterns of the American public. It is noted that the success of the...
- Helping School~childeren Make the Grade in Nutrition. Marion, Rosalie // Agricultural Research;Oct2005, Vol. 53 Issue 10, p4
This article focuses on the developments and challenges in the National school Lunch Week launched in October 2005 in honor of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) National School Lunch Program, which ensures that nutritious lunches are available to schoolchildren. About 29 million children...
- The Third Step--The National "What We Eat in America" Survey. Bliss, Rosalie Marion // Agricultural Research;Mar2012, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p16
The article discusses the "What We Eat in America" integrated national dietary survey developed by the Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center (BHNRC) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agricultural Research Service (ARS). The survey aims to collect information about the dietary...
- Trends in food and nutrient intakes by adults: NFCS 1977-78, CSFII 1989-91, and CSFII 1994-95. Enns, Cecilia Wilkinson; Goldman, Joseph D.; Cook, Annetta // Family Economics & Nutrition Review;1997, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p2
Details information regarding the 1994-1996 Continuing Survey of Food Intakes by Individuals conducted by the US Agriculture Department's Agricultural Research Service. Time trends in food intakes; Classification of food mixtures; Energy, nutrients and other food components.