Lawsuit Over Kansas School Funding Stays Alive as Court Refuses to Toss It
- Houston ISD Gets S&P Bump, But GO Deal Still on Sidelines. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;2/19/2008, Vol. 363 Issue 32818, p30
The article offers updates on the plan of Houston Independent School District's issuance of $400 million of general obligation in Texas. The school district is waiting for a second opinion from the courts regarding the alleged racial discrimination in proposed used of the bond proceeds before it...
- Missouri districts received $20M in 1998-99 for hardware and software. // Electronic Education Report;09/30/98, Vol. 5 Issue 18, p6
Reports that Missouri school districts have received $20 million in 1998-99 for hardware and software. Additional funding in 1997 from extra state lottery funds; Other uses of the fund.
- Philly Plans $745M Sale For Schools. D'Ambrosio, Gillian // Bond Buyer;7/14/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31676, p1
Focuses on plans of Philadelphia School District, Pennsylvania, to come to market in Summer 2003 with $600 million of new money and $145 million of refunding debt, which would include lease rental, general obligation bonds and variable-rate debt. Benefits to the district from the deal; Volume...
- District wants its money back from parents who enrolled children residing in other districts. // Curriculum Review;Sep95, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p3
Reports that the South Orange-Maplewood School District of New Jersey has filed a suit seeking more than $500,000 in back tuition from parents of 19 students alleged to reside in other districts.
- Ill. State Board moves to take over troubled east St. Louis schools. Schmidt, Peter // Education Week;10/26/94, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p13
Reports on the Illinois State Board of Education's assumption of financial oversight for schools in the East St. Louis district. Plans for a six-year pattern of financial management; District debt and teacher shortage as problems of East St. Louis schools.
- OHIO: Loss for School Levies. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;8/10/2011, Vol. 377 Issue 33563, p7
The article reports on the decision of voters to reject 17 of 23 school levy requests in special local elections held in August 2011 across Ohio.
- Budget shortfall may force state takeover of Alabama district. Lawton, Millicent // Education Week;2/28/96, Vol. 15 Issue 23, p15
Reports on the possibility of a state takeover of the Fairfield city school system of Birmingham, Alabama, due to its financial problems. March 15 deadline for the school district to fix its budget problems to avoid state intervention as per the state's accountability law.
- $5 billion `crumbling schools' initiative introduced. // American School & University;Aug96, Vol. 68 Issue 12, p3
Reports on the proposal of United States President Bill Clinton to spend $5 billion over four years to help build new and renovate old school district buildings. `School-Construction Initiative' as response to a series of reports from US General Accounting Office (GAO); Percentage of schools...
- Technology spending increases. // American School & University;Jan1997, Vol. 69 Issue 5, p11
Reports that school district will spend an estimated $4.1 billion on education technology in the 1996-97 schoolyear. Average district expenditures; On-line services expenditures.