A General Overview on Seed Dormancy and Methods of Breaking It
- Effects of Sulphuric Acid and Cold Stratification Pretreatments on Germination of Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) Seeds. Olmez, Zafer; Temel, Fatih; Gokturk, Askin; Yahyaoglu, Zeki // Asian Journal of Plant Sciences;2007, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p427
This study was carried out to determine the effects of some pretreatments including submersion in concentrate H2SO4 for 15 and 30 min, cold stratification (20, 40 and 60 days) and submersion in concentrate H2SO4 for 15 min with 60 day cold stratification on seed germination and to investigate...
- stratification:. Schlegel, Rolf H. J. // Encyclopedic Dictionary of Plant Breeding & Related Subjects;2003, p399
A definition of the term "stratification" is presented. It refers to the placing of seeds between layers of moist peat or sand and exposing them to low temperature in order to encourage germination and/or breaking dormancy.
- Differences in light and temperature responses determine autumn versus spring germination for seeds of Schoenolirion croceum. Walck, Jeffrey L.; Hidayati, Siti N. // Canadian Journal of Botany;Oct2004, Vol. 82 Issue 10, p1429
Seeds of the southeastern North American Schoenolirion croceum (Michx.) Wood are dormant when dispersed in late spring to early summer. Fresh seeds buried in soil after dispersal germinate in autumn, whereas those sown on the soil surface do so the following late winter ï¿½ early spring. To...
- Optimizing acid scarification and stratification combinations for RUSSET BUFFALOBERRY SEEDS. Rosner, Lee S.; Harrington, John T. // Native Plants Journal (Indiana University Press);Fall2003, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p81
Presents the study conducted by Lee S. Rosner and John T. Harrington which proposes for a 1 week imbibition test as a convenient method to determine the most effective acid scarification duration for individual seedlots. Methodology; Findings; Conclusion.
- Break Dormancy by Trimming Immature Globba spp. Chanchula, Nattapong; Jala, Anchalee; Taychasinpitak, Thunya // International Transaction Journal of Engineering, Management & A;Jul2013, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p171
Young Globba winitii seeds at 20 days after pollination were collected and trimmed at different parts of their seed coat, then cultured on MS medium supplemented with 10 mg/l BA, 1.0 mg/l NAA, 10 mg/l GA3 and 30 g/l sucrose. The results showed that the trimming method could break dormancy, and...
- Epicotyl morphophysiological dormancy in seeds of Lilium polyphyllum (Liliaceae). Dhyani, Anurag; Phartyal, Shyam; Nautiyal, B; Nautiyal, M // Journal of Biosciences;Mar2013, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p13
Dormancy-breaking and seed germination studies in genus Lilium reveal that the majority of Lilium spp. studied have an underdeveloped embryo at maturity, which grows inside the seed before the radicle emerges. Additionally, the embryo, radicle or cotyledon has a physiological component of...
- Influence of Pre-Sowing Treatments on in vitro Seed Germination of Atrvisha (Aconitum heterophyllum Wall) of Uttarakhand. Srivastava, Nidhi; Sharma, Vikas; Dobriyal, Anoop K.; Kamal, Barkha; Gupta, Sanjay; Jadon, Vikas S. // Biotechnology;2011, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p215
No abstract available.
- Influence of Stratification on Seed Germination of Pterocarya Fraxinifolia (Poiret) Spach, a Relic Tree Species. Çiçek, Emrah; Tilki, Fahrettin // Research Journal of Botany;2008, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p103
In the present study, the effect of stratification on the germination of Pterocarya fraxinifolia seed was studied. Collected seeds were cold stratified without a medium at moist low temperature for 0, 3, 5 and 7 weeks at a constant temperature of 4Â±1Â°C or warm stratified for 3 weeks at...
- Dynamics of carbohydrates in the embryo axes of horse chestnut seeds during their transition from dormancy to germination. Obroucheva, N. V.; Lityagina, S. V.; Richter, A. // Russian Journal of Plant Physiology;Nov2006, Vol. 53 Issue 6, p768
It was shown that the content of carbohydrates and their composition in embryo axes of horse chestnut seeds changed as seeds acquired a capability of dormancy release and germination. Sucrose prevailed among carbohydrates, comprising to 150ï¿½160 mg/g dry wt. During the first half of the seed...