Virginia Finance Secretary Says Unspent Funds Will Avert Shortfall
- Cash-Strapped Governors Walking a Tax-Reform Tightrope. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;11/4/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31754, p28
Focuses on the difficulty of governors in the Southwestern States to search for the middle ground between tax increases and lost revenues. Imposition of tax code to avert budget deficit; Transformation of complex tax laws; Assessment of property taxes and locks in ratios of tax rates.
- Generate economic health: Raise taxes? // Inside Tucson Business;12/23/2002, Vol. 12 Issue 29, p4
Editorial. Comments on the proposed tax increase in Tucson , Arizona. Solution of the state budget deficits; Generation of jobs; Stimulation of the economy.
- State budget crisis redux. Myers, Dennis // Las Vegas Business Press;10/01/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 40, p4
Focuses on the 2001 budget deficit in Las Vegas, Nevada. Reliance of the state on property to sales tax; Decline of state revenue; Generation of interest in reform.
- Status quo triumphs again. Schnitzler, Peter // Indianapolis Business Journal;3/25/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p3A
Focuses on the failure of legislators to solve the budget crisis and restructure taxes in Indiana. Reaction of the business community; Debate concerning the budget deficit; Solutions proposed by politicians.
- A Mount Vesuvius of misinformation. McClintock, Tom // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;4/11/2003, Issue 323071, p23
Focuses on the proposed increase in car tax in California. Result of the state budget deficit; Occurrence of overspending; Volatility of the economy.
- Local government getting short end of stick. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;4/18/2003, Issue 323074, p24
Editorial. Comments on the budget deficit in California. Infusion of tax revenues; Increase in vehicle license fees; Terms of legislative budget proposals.
- ELECTION AFTERMATH. Fine, Howard // Orange County Business Journal;11/18/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 46, p7
Reports on the budget deficits in California. Increase of tax rate; Postponement of the investment tax credit among manufacturers; Variation of the state funding.
- Watch out for hidden tax increases. Stutts, Clint // Malakoff News (TX);2/ 4/2011, Vol. 102 Issue 5, p2A
The article offers the author's insights regarding the potential indication of various schemes that could increase the amount of tax paid for an activity without increasing the tax rates, following the challenge of budget deficits faced by the lawmakers in Texas.
- N.J., Atlantic City Craft Plan to Ease Deficit Burden. Kaske, Michelle // Bond Buyer;10/6/2010, Vol. 374 Issue 33395, p6
The article reports on the plan of New Jersey and Atlantic City officials which allows the gambling center in the state to disperse 9.5 million dollar budget deficits over five years in an aim of trimming the property tax increases.