Chronicling the myth of the killer app
- Committee to Explore Standards for CD-ROM. // Information Today;May1985, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p4
This article reports on a meeting held by the National Information Standards Organization at the Library of Congress on February 25, 1985, to hear recommendations on a CD-ROM standard. More than 40 representatives from computer manufacturers, CD drive makers, analog videodisc companies,...
- OSTA, CDRMA, and the great CD-R test. Parker, Dana J. // CD-ROM Professional;Jun95, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p100
Focuses on the Optical Storage Technology Association's (OSTA) formation of a compact disc-recordable (CD-R) committee to incorporate the former members of the CD-Recordable Manufacturers Association (CDRMA). Work items proposed for the committee; Formation of three subcommittees; CD-R test...
- Datatek Enters CD-ROM Market. // Information Today;Sep1985, Vol. 2 Issue 8, p1
This article reports on the entry of Datatek Corporation in the CD-ROM market in September 1985. Datatek Corporation, operator of the DataTimes online newspaper library network, is taking on a new role as CD-ROM marketer. The firm is selling to its newspaper clients in the U.S. a compact optical...
- News Briefs. // Information Today;Jan1990, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p17
Presents news briefs on the CD-ROM technology as of January 1990. Release of a number of Sears subject-headed MARC records with Dewey numbers on CD-ROM; Launch of two CD-ROM system packages from the Industrial Products Division of Hitachi Sales Corporation; Background on a report by Dataware...
- OSTA specifies MULTIPLAY. Bennett, Hugh // EMedia Magazine;Apr2001, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p50
Relates the success of the Optical Storage Technology Association (OSTA) in establishing universal level of compatibility for digital video disc devices and computer disc-rewritable disc. Feature of the MultiPlay specification of OSTA; Planned integration of the Compressed Digital Audio file...
- MultiRead Specs and the Universal Disk Format. Jacso, Peter // Computers in Libraries;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 18 Issue 10, p42
Discusses several topics related to CD-ROMs as of November 1, 1998. Rewritable compact discs; The MultiRead specifications developed by the Optical Storage Technology Association; Questions about readability of various CD-ROM types; The Universal Disk Format; What will be necessary for true...
- Facts, figures, & findings. // EMedia Professional;Jul98, Vol. 11 Issue 7, p11
Reports on developments related to the optical storage device industry as of July 1998. Includes CD-RW market's growth beyond industry projections; Japanese Recording Media Association's study predicting fluctuations in sales of optical media.
- Some say buyers of optical drives need to beware, but sales claims are still inflated. Foster, Ed // InfoWorld;02/23/98, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p68
Comments on the American optical drive industry's practice of using the capacity of the media to describe the capacity of the drive. Alleged fraud in the industry's claims; Types of customer information by optical drive manufacturers.
- CD-R tracker. // EMedia Professional;Sep98, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p14
Presents statistics concerning compact disc-recordable (CD-R) and compact disc-re-writable (CD-RW) devices. Global writer unit sales; Global CD and CD-RW disk unit sales.