Engaging Siedentopian Perspectives on Content Knowledge for Physical Education
- Dancing to the Beat of a New Drummer. // American Fitness;Mar/Apr99, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p42
Focuses on the Dance and Health Fitness Management Certificate Program of the American University (AU). Goal of designing the program; What the program offers; Requirements in acquiring certificate; Comments from Naima Prevots, chair of AU Department of Performing Arts.
- The Youth Physical Activity Promotion Model: A Conceptual Bridge Between Theory and Practice. Welk, Gregory J. // Quest (00336297);Feb99, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p5
Examines physical activity promotion to bridge between theory and practice. Benefits of physical activity; Reduction of physical activity among adolescents; Objectives of youth fitness promotion.
- Changing Attitudes And Expectations In A University Setting: A Case Study. Kerr, Robert; Cote, Jean // Physical Educator;Fall98, Vol. 55 Issue 3, p160
Features a study which interviewed graduates of the Physical Education program of universities and colleges' curriculum in Canada on the development of their understanding related to their degree program. Method of the study; Results and discussion of the study; Summary of the study.
- PE classes, newer facilities can boost college programs. Cruz, Gary // Handball;Apr2007, Vol. 57 Issue 2, p37
This article reflects on the collegiate aspects of player development in the sport of handball in the U.S. The author discusses the decline in physical education as a requirement in high schools and universities, and advocates handball as a curriculum requirement in colleges and supported by...
- PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES IN THE GRADUATION CURRICULUM FOR THE FORMATION OF PROFESSIONALS IN THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND SPORTS SCIENCE TITULATION: A STUDY FROM THE PRACTICUM SUBJECT. Valeiro, Miguel Angel González; Reboredo, Belén Toja; de los Ängeles Fernández Villarino, Ma.; Villaverde, Myriam Alvariñas // Fitness & Performance Journal (Online Edition);Nov/Dec2008, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p413
Our intention was to approach the competencies as an axis which structures the graduation Curriculum in the initial formation of professionals. For this purpose, we used the Practicum as a curricular and formative component and the competencies as the representation of a combination of...
- Analysis and Strategies of College Physical Education Reform. Yuping Chen // Asian Social Science;Nov2010, Vol. 6 Issue 11, p209
Through the investigation of the status of college physical education, this work analyzes the crisis existing in the physical education curriculum. Reform plans and strategies are proposed on the teaching objectives, teaching contents, methods of organization, evaluation criteria, venues,...
- Sport Sociology, NASSS, and Undergraduate Education in the United States: A Social Network Perspective for Developing the Field. Nixon, Howard L. // Sociology of Sport Journal;Mar2010, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p76
There has been no research about the prevalence of undergraduate sport sociology courses or about the links between NASSS and the institutions and faculty offering these courses. This article begins to fill this research gap. It uses a social network perspective to show how NASSS is connected to...
- Analyses of Higher Education Conceptual Physical Education Courses. Keating, Xiaofen Deng; Wallace, Janice; Schafer, Jason; O'Connor, Megan; Shangguan, Rulan; Guan, Jianmin // ICHPER -- SD Journal of Research in Health, Physical Education, ;Fall/Winter2012, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p38
This study examined conceptual physical education (CPE) course syllabi in order to better understand how such courses were taught in higher education. In total, 86 syllabi were collected with 43% of them emanating from colleges. The syllabi were analyzed to ascertain the course credits, formats,...
- The Preparation of HPE Teachers in New Zealand. Smith, Wayne; Philpot, Rod // Asia-Pacific Journal of Health, Sport & Physical Education;2011, Vol. 2 Issue 3/4, p71
Health and physical education teacher education (HPETE) in New Zealand has been subjected to numerous external influences and change elements in recent years. This article reflects on the impact of these influences on HPETE in our higher education institutions since the introduction of a new...