A delicate balance
- Is there a future for temporary help? // USA Today Magazine;Aug94, Vol. 123 Issue 2591, p7
Reports on the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) efforts to eliminate temporary employment despite businesses' adoption of the value of temporary workers. Implications for the unemployed; IRS' plans to declare independent contractors as employees; Reasons for IRS' desire to eliminate temporary...
- California Considers Bill to Protect Temp Workers. Grabell, Michael // La Prensa San Diego;4/4/2014, Vol. 38 Issue 14, p3
The article reflects on a bill by Assemblyman Roger Hernandez, which would make companies legally responsible for wage and safety violations committed by their subcontractors and temporary agencies against temporary and subcontracted workers in California.
- PERMANENT AGENCY WORKERS LOSE OUT. Brookes, Sophie; Davies, Christopher // Accountancy;Feb2014, Vol. 152 Issue 1446, p51
The article discusses a legal case in Great Britain concerning agency workers, or employees provided to a firm by a staffing agency. Britain's Agency Workers Regulations grant certain rights to agency workers who have been with the same client firm for more than 12 weeks. Workers placed with a...
- EU agrees time limit for agency workers change. // Personnel Today;3/11/2003, p1
Reports that the member states in Great Britain has agreed to impose a time limit for discussion on the European Union Agency Workers Directive regarding pay of temporary employees. Reason behind the opposition of employers on the issue; Provision under the directive for temporary staff pay and...
- HIRING TEMPS FULL-TIME MAY GET THE IRS ON YOUR TAIL. // Fortune;1/24/1994, Vol. 129 Issue 2, p34
Looks at some of the problems which could befall companies which use temporary or freelance employees on a full-time basis. Penalties lodged by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) against two publications; Problems caused by filing the wrong tax forms; How to avoid some of these problems.
- Temps may tap into employee benefits. // ABA Journal;Feb97, Vol. 83 Issue 2, p43
Reports on the decision of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals based in san Francisco, California stating that temporary workers can be eliminated for savings and stock option plans available to regular employees in the United States.
- UK's employers losing argument over temps. Wigham, Ross // Personnel Today;11/26/2002, p3
Focuses on a controversial draft passed by the European Parliament without amendments requested by employers in Great Britain related to offering same pay and conditions to temporary staff as permanent staff from the first day of their employment. Provisions of the draft; Reintroduction of the...
- TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT SERVICES (LABOUR BROKERS) IN SOUTH AFRICA AND NAMIBIA. van n Eck, B. P. S. // Potchefstroom Electronic Law Journal;2010, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p107
The article offers information on the practice of temporary employment services (TES) or labour broking in South Africa and Namibia. It focuses on the challenges facing the TES industry in South Africa following Namibia's recent decision to ban the practice and the apparent intention of the...
- Treat agency staff as mythical workers. // Accountancy Ireland;Dec2002, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p34
Reports that Irish Ministers voted for a measure that could only be achieved if companies invested mythical employees. Provisions of the European Union law that aims to protect office temps.